January 14, 2015

Skinny Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds, Blueberries & Bananas


My little sous chef was home sick yesterday with a yucky cold.  The only thing that she wanted to eat all day was oatmeal.  I get it.  It's comforting, it's tasty, and it warms the soul.  There are also so many wonderful health benefits to eating oats, and I have been trying to incorporate them more into my diet.  

Overnight oats have become one of my favorite things to look forward to in the morning.  When I stumbled across Skinny Taste's skinny version, I knew I had to try them immediately.  The oats are soaked in milk overnight in the fridge along with chia seeds and fruit.  When you wake up the next morning, you have a delicious, creamy, and healthy breakfast to enjoy before starting your day.  Give it a try!  If you decide you're not a fan of cold oatmeal, you could always just heat it up.  

Notes:  If you don't like chia seeds, you can leave them out and add an extra 1/4 cup of oats.  The general rule of thumb is equal parts liquid to oats.  Also, I don't typically add the honey called for in the ingredients because the blueberries and banana add just the right amount of sweetness for me, but you can certainly use any of your favorite sweeteners such as agave nectar, maple syrup, brown sugar, etc.  Enjoy!  



Ingredients: 
Yields 1 serving
Adapted from SkinnyTaste


  • 1/2 c fat-free milk (or almond milk, coconut milk, etc.)
  • 1/4 c quick cooking oats 
  • 1/2 banana, chopped
  • 1/2 c blueberries
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds 
  • Pinch ground cinnamon 
  • Optional:  1 tsp honey
  • Optional toppings:  Nuts, granola, etc.



Directions:

Combine the milk, oats, banana, blueberries, chia seeds, cinnamon and honey in a pint jar (or container).  Cover and shake (or stir).  Chill in the refrigerator overnight.  

Remove from the refrigerator.  Top with your favorite crunchy topping and get out your spoon.  

Enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: