January 23, 2009

Chicken

Click the recipe name to view the recipe!



In a few days, I'm going to hit the halfway point of my pregnancy, and I have been having some serious cravings!  Mostly good things like apples and grapes... some not-so-good things like chocolate milkshakes and fries.  Another weakness of mine recently has been pesto.  I could seriously slather that stuff on anything!  I decided to make a baked pesto chicken for dinner tonight and add some...



The Christmas tree is up, our coal stove is roaring, and my Pandora Christmas jazz station is softly serenading us.  This is the time of year when I most relate to the hibernating bear... not the sleeping part; the part where he doesn't leave his den.  No, I'm not depressed... it's just that after we deck our halls, our den is at its coziest, and I hate to have to venture into the...




I know, I know!  It's been eight whole months since my last blog post.  Yes, I've been buzzing away in the kitchen, but sadly I haven't grabbed my camera to share some of the new things I've been doing.  Speaking of "new" things, we've been experiencing a lot of them this past year.  With moving into our new house, starting a new job, getting used to a new school for my...



No interesting story behind this dish -- just another weeknight meal that I'd like to share.  It earned an "excellent" rating from my family.  It's healthy, delicious, and you'll find yourself coming back for more... and more!  



Since we're still in the process of getting established in our new home, I've been sticking to quick-and-easy meals for dinner.  Hasselback chicken is a concept that I came up with after getting very frustrated with all the butterflying, pounding, rolling, stuffing, and fastening of chicken breasts for stuffed chicken.  It's seriously easy to make.  My favorite thing about it is that you can easily...



What's with my two-and-a-half month hiatus from food blogging?  I've had a very good reason.  We just bought and moved into a new house!  I'm surprised at how quickly this place has felt like home to us.  It is taking me some time, however, to adjust to a new kitchen.  I still haven't had time... 




Unseasonably cold weather got you down?  This lightened-up Tuscan chicken is sure to incite thoughts of spring!  It's light, healthy, and full of flavor but without all the carbs.  Boiled summer squash is used in place of pasta and paired with a delicious, creamy, veggie-packed topping spooned over juicy, herbed chicken. 





Happy Friday!  Here is another quick and easy weeknight meal to add to your rotation.  It's a skillet version of my Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken over Pasta.  There is a lovely hint of sweet and tangy flavor, but it's not overpowering.  I served this with some freshly steamed broccoli.




Happy Friday!  Here is another quick and easy weeknight meal to add to your rotation.  It's a skillet version of my Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken over Pasta.  There is a lovely hint of sweet and tangy flavor, but it's not overpowering.  I served this with some freshly steamed broccoli.




Hands down, my favorite part about the super bowl is the naughty food.  Well, unless the Eagles are playing - then it's a whole other story!  Last year, my little sous chef discovered the puppy bowl, which was thee perfect distraction for her while we were watching the big game.  This year, it's the kitten bowl that she's amped up about.  I have to admit - my inner creepy cat lady will claw its way out, and I know...



Spaghetti Squash, Chicken & Broccoli Soup with Cinnamon

Nothing satisfies the soul on a cold autumn day quite like a warm bowl of homemade soup.  This is a delicious lightened up version of chicken and broccoli soup that is both hearty and healthy.  Instead of using pasta or rice, I added roasted spaghetti squash.  What...



Bruschetta Chicken

Tomatoes are in season!  There's nothing quite as delicious as a ripe, freshly picked tomato, and I had some lovely organic ones that I wanted to use with dinner.  I decided to make one of my family's favorite meals, bruschetta chicken.  The chicken is incredibly juicy, and the bruschetta topping is light and delicious - a fresh taste of summer!  It's made on the stove top, so you don't have to...



Moroccan Hummus & Pine Nut Crusted Chicken 

We have quite the weakness for hummus.  It's a staple in our house, and it's pretty simple to make at home.  Simply process garbanzo beans (chickpeas), tahini, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor until creamy.  You can add cumin, paprika, and/or lemon...



NY Strip Steak & Chicken Stir Fry with Jasmine Rice


Here's another goodie that's going on the "My Favorite Recipes" page!  My little sous chef closed her eyes and said, "Mm!  Oh, this is good!  *chomp*  Mm!  *smack*  I want to eat this every day!"  My husband pounded his fist on the table and shouted, "This is darn good!  We need to have this once a week!"  Not gonna lie - that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Believe it or not, this...


Rotelli with Chicken & Asparagus in Tomato Cream Sauce


Busy day?  Mine certainly has been!  We all need at least a few go-to recipes in our repertoire that are quick and easy but satisfying and delicious at the same time.  This is one of those meals.  Here's to a delicious meal at the end of a crazy day that can be ready in under 30 minutes!  

Chicken Scallopini with Saffron Cream Sauce


Saffron and pine nuts.  Two ingredients that I love but really have a hard time bringing myself to purchase without feeling guilty because of the sheer cost.  Oh, but there's nothing quite as delicious as a fresh batch of basil pesto with pine nuts slathered on a crispy cracker.  Try to imagine my joy and surprise...

Step-By-Step Chicken & Vegetable Soup From Scratch


In my last few blog posts, I touched on how and why we are spring cleaning both our diet and our budget.  We have rotisserie chicken about once a week for dinner, and I usually end up using the leftover chicken in another meal that week.  This time, I wanted to try to stretch out...

Chicken Parmigiana Pasta Casserole


Along with spring cleaning our diets, we've been working hard at spring cleaning our budget.  We'll be moving to a new house next year, God willing, so cutting corners with spending has definitely been a priority.  We've worked hard to maintain a debt-free life, so one of the most logical...


Buffalo Chicken Dippin' Balls with Spicy Cheddar Cheese Sauce


My little 9-year-old sous chef told me that she is really excited to watch the Super Bowl with us.  Her reasoning?  "We get to eat really good food ...in the living room while we watch TV!"  If you...


Hasselback Chicken ~ Cajun with Pepper Jack & Spinach


For dinner, my husband asked for what happens to be the most popular recipe on this blog, Cajun chicken stuffed with pepper jack cheese & spinach.  It's one of our top 5 favorite meals but I was having a rough...


Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie

We all evolve over time.  We try to better ourselves and learn new things.  Sometimes we fail but we pick ourselves up, shake off the dirt, learn from the experience, and move on.  I can see it in my...


Chicken Florentine Casserole

On chilly days like these, this hearty Chicken Florentine Casserole bathed in a delicious white wine cream sauce is a perfect comforting meal to come home to...




Homemade Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup

Soup weather is upon us!  The stuff from a can doesn't compare to homemade.  All you need is a little time and love and you can enjoy a healthy and hearty soup that is satisfying to the soul...  

Chicken Stuffed with Garlicky Kale & Cheddar

There is a plethora of fresh kale from the garden and I decided to use some of it in a chicken dish for dinner last night.  This is one of my family's favorites.  The chicken is moist and tender, and the garlicky kale and cheddar stuffing is so good it's...

Chicken & Rice Primavera

We were having an issue with our freezer this past week and the repairman informed us that we had to unplug our refrigerator and allow the freezer to thaw out for 24 hours.  Gasp!  Do you have any...

Chicken Parmigiana & Spinach SandwichMy schedule tends to be pretty hectic as it is but this week is a different story.  On top of my activities of daily living, I have been asked by a friend to help make food for her wedding this weekend.  I am super nervous excited...

Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Tortilla Stew

Make a New Year's resolution to have a healthy diet?  Try this delicious spicy chicken tortilla stew!  It's healthy, low in calories and oh, so good!  Simply throw the ingredients in your slow cooker in...

Italian Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Fingers

Before I start rolling out the Thanksgiving posts, I wanted to share this little guilty pleasure appetizer of mine.  The name speaks for itself.  Because the bacon helps to lock in the moisture of the chicken, every bite is crispy on the outside and tender on the...

Pad Thai Chicken with Chicken, Shrimp & Tofu

Tied for my number one food weakness in life are sushi and pad Thai.  Whenever I absolutely love a certain dish at a restaurant, I always work to recreate it at home.  Recreating sushi is easy but pad Thai has been another story for me.  I have tried many variations of pad Thai but they have all fallen short of my...

Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta

This delicious chicken alfredo pasta is rich and creamy and can be ready in under 30 minutes.  It is one of my go-to recipes after a busy day and is a family favorite.  I serve this with a side salad...

Crock Pot Balsamic Chicken over Pasta

This delicious pasta dish is hearty, healthy and full of flavor.  My family loves the rich, tart and sweet taste of balsamic vinegar - it's definitely a favorite!  If you're unsure about how much balsamic vinegar is...

Southwestern Blackened Chicken Salad

This recipe originated from my attempts at recreating one of our favorite salads from a local Mexican restaurant.  It is delicious, easy to make and ready in 15 minutes -- a perfect summer salad!  There are so many wonderful elements to this salad.  It is cold and crunchy, salty, sweet, spicy...

Grilled Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Thighs

It was an absolutely beautiful day out!  I had some extra chicken thighs that needed to be used up, so I decided to grill them using the 
bourbon barbecue sauce that I made for Father's Day.  Chicken thighs are...

Honey-Dijon Chicken with Bacon and Mushrooms

The first time I tried Alice Springs Chicken from the Outback Steakhouse menu, I immediately knew I was going to make it at home for my family.  It is very easy to recreate, mainly because the ingredients speak for themselves.  What's not to love about chicken smothered in a honey-Dijon sauce, topped with bacon...

Chicken Piccata

This recipe yields an incredibly moist and tender chicken with a rich butter, lemon and garlic flavor...

Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

If you love buffalo wings, then this spicy and hearty sandwich topped with creamy blue cheese and cool, crunchy celery is for you!  It is perfect for the upcoming picnicking season.  Serve it with a side of carrot and celery sticks with...

Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta

This is a hearty, creamy and slightly spicy dish that your family will love.  I place this in my meal rotation about once a month and every time I eat it, I think to myself, why don't I make this...

Southwestern Blackened Chicken Spinach Wraps

I knew that my entire week was going to be really crazy, so I planned for quick meals each night.  This is one of my go-to recipes for a busy week night.  It can be made in 15 minutes, is tasty and the entire family will...

Gemelli with Chicken & Vegetables Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce

We were supposed to get snow today but only got the bitter-cold, chill-you-to-the-bone wind.  Days likes these make me wish it was spring again.  This warm pasta dish was comforting and warming and perfect for such a chilly...

Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Crispy Chicken

This salad is made in under 30 minutes and is super tasty.  Oh, and the dressing is pretty addicting if I do say so myself!

Country Fried Chicken and Gravy

What a beautiful day we were blessed with today!  After spending more than half of it recovering from outpatient surgery, I finally was feeling back to normal and ready to enjoy the day.  How do I spend my free time on a beautiful day?  In the kitchen, of course!  This meal is comforting and filling...

Crispy Chicken Wings

Autumn is my favorite season for so many reasons.  The colors, the food, the gorgeous weather... and football!  We sure love our Philadelphia Eagles and if you happen to pass by our house during a game, you will be sure to hear our 
obnoxiously loud shouting team spirit through the windows.  Last Sunday...

Quick & Easy Chicken Parmigiana

School is right around the corner, which means that my schedule is about to get a bit more crazy.  Between making sure all homework is completed and running around to various after-school activities, it is hard to find time to have a decent family dinner.  This is one of my go-to meals that is easy, inexpensive...

Sesame Chicken

My husband suggested sesame chicken for dinner one night this past week.  
The last time I blogged about sesame chicken, my daughter and I really enjoyed it but my husband was not very fond of it.  I thought I would switch things up quite a bit with the recipe and, while this does not use traditional...

Italian Chicken & Zucchini Pasta in Red Wine-Tomato Sauce

I am finally back from my two-week break and, as much fun as I had with family and friends, I must say that I was going through some withdrawal from food blogging.  Who would have thought that 
something I started on a whim one and a half years ago would be something that I can't live without?!  While I was...

Creamy Chicken Caesar Sandwich

If you're a fan of chicken Caesar salad, you will definitely be a fan of this sandwich.  It is incredibly simple to make and is just delightful.  My daughter loved it and asked if we could eat this every night for dinner from now on.  This can be made in under 30 minutes and is perfect for company.  Feel free...

Raspberry-Dijon Glazed Chicken and Peas over Brown Rice

This is light, healthy and full of flavor.  I make many variations of this but this is my favorite version with apricot being a close second.  Try this with your favorite fruit preserve...

Honey-Dijon Chicken over Rice

We have been having unseasonably hot weather recently.  Every year, we try to see how long we can go without turning on the air conditioning.  Last year, we held out until mid June and we were so proud of ourselves for...

Mediterranian Couscous and Chicken Pasta Salad

Happy Memorial Day!  
I hope you all have a wonderful time this extended weekend with family and friends remembering those who bravely served and gave their lives for this country...

Chicken Parmigiana and Prosciutto Pizza

This pizza was so good!  It was even better leftover cold with a glass of milk...

Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I have been craving Mexican food recently.  We had southwestern blackened chicken spinach wraps the other night and I decided to make enchiladas last night.  You can't go wrong with warm, cheesy enchiladas!  My family loves this recipe.  The sauce is easy to make and so savory.  I usually...

Creamy Ranch Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper Crostini

One of my favorite things about being a food blogger is getting free food and ingredients in the mail.  As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received Tostitos' and Lay's new Dip Creations.  Two packages of three different flavors were sent to me:  Country Ranch, Garden Onion and...

Chinese Chicken & Green Beans

My husband special requested this meal for dinner tonight. As I have said before my family is crazy about Chinese food.  This is another meal that is perfect for your busy week nights.  Be sure to have all of your ingredients measured, chopped, prepped etc. before you start cooking.  This meal...
Chicken Mei Fun

Chicken mei fun is a quick meal to prepare, perfect for busy week nights.  It is ready within 30 minutes and the most time-consuming aspect is the preparation of ingredients.  This is a healthy and tasty meal that I hope you will try.  I normally...

Southern Chicken & Pastry

We had my mom, dad and Granddaddy over for dinner last night.  My Granddaddy was raised in eastern North Carolina and has the cutest southern drawl.  I asked him what specifically he would like to eat when he came over.  One of his favorite southern meals is chicken and pastry.  Chicken and pastry is a very common dish...

Chicken Curry with Cashews

During the time that I competed in 
Project Food Blog (short as it may have been), for round #2, I created an Indian dish, Dal Makhani.  I instantly fell in love with the intense flavors of the dish and it made me hungry to learn more about Indian cooking.  I have always wanted to make chicken curry and today...

Quick & Easy Chicken and Broccoli Udon Stir Fry

This is an exceptional Asian dish that is perfect for very busy days and a great way to utilize leftovers.  It is made within 15 minutes and eliminates the need to get takeout.  You can substitute the chicken for any kind of meat and the broccoli for any kind of vegetable(s).  The secret to the amazing...

Chicken Italiano & Polenta

I have never tried polenta in my life, so I decided to give it a whirl and I am very happy that I did. This is so incredibly easy and really delicious! My husband liked it a lot and started suggesting meals that it would go well with. My daughter wasn't a fan, probably because she thought it was supposed to taste like...

Buffalo Chicken Dip

The Philadelphia Eagles are in the playoffs today at 4:30 PM against the Green Bay Packers. Playoffs in my house = not-so-healthy snack food. My husband was looking forward to me making buffalo chicken dip. If you like a lot of spice, this packs in a lot of it -- just the way we like it! For a more mild...
Lemon-Rosemary Chicken & Vegetable Salad

The Philadelphia Eagles are in the playoffs and we play the Packers this Sunday at 4:30! I know for a fact that I will be making some kind of dip and/or snack food for the game, so I thought a healthy lunch was in order today. It snowed this morning, so it is cold out and my oven looked lonely, so I thought I would broil...

Pasta Primavera and Chicken

They are calling for snow again this Friday. Ugh! I have already had enough of the snow... is it spring yet? Well, at least my mind can venture on to the next season. Nothing says spring like pasta primavera! I had a few chicken thighs that I pan fried and added to the dish...

Rosemary Double Noodle Chicken Soup

The sickness that my daughter had wasn't the flu after all. It was a seven-day stomach virus that has been going around the schools. She is just starting to get over it, thankfully. But wouldn't you know, my husband woke up at 4:00 this morning with the sickness, too! So far, the virus...

Chicken Caesar Flatbread Sandwich

I had planned on cooking leg of lamb tonight for dinner but I decided to stray from my weekly meal planner (which I hardly ever do) and go with what I was craving -- chicken Caesar sandwiches! These are very simple and fast but so delicious! The family gobbled them right up and loved them. My daughter...

Rotini with Chicken & Vegetables in White Wine Cream Sauce

It's getting to be that time of year. The hustling and bustling that goes along with the holidays. You know, the time when you do everything you can to just get a moment to sit down and catch your breath. The craziness happens to start earlier in the year for me....
Southwest Tomato Chutney Chicken Wraps

In my last entry for the Saucy Mama contest, I decided to use the Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade, which is so deliciously flavorful, that was sent to me from 
Barhyte Specialty Foods. At first, I was going to make a salsa with it but I decided last minute to go with something...

Cracked Pepper & Jack Chicken Sandwich

There are two other condiments I received from 
Barhyte Specialty Foods that I fell in love with: Saucy Mama Cracked Pepper Marinade and Saucy Mama Jalapeno Stuffed Olives! I couldn't resist putting these together in a sandwich. This will be one of the best sandwiches you will have...

Pistachio-Crusted Ranch Chicken Strips

One of my favorite things about being a food blogger is the free food. 
Barhyte Specialty Foods sent me a package full of wonderful condiments. They are all out-of-this-world delicious but I have to say that my favorite was the sweet onion marinade. We were given...

Cajun Chicken Stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese & Spinach

Cheese was $1.50 a block at my local grocery store, so I took advantage of the sale and bought a few, one of which was pepper jack cheese.  My husband and I snacked on some of the pepper jack over the weekend and started chatting about the different...

Chicken Parmigiana

When will this heat end?! It is another hot and humid day and I had already used my oven at lunchtime for the 
baked apples, so I figured I should probably cook over the stove tonight. It has been quite a while since we have had chicken parmigiana. For a while, I had been...

Saucy Italian Chicken & Peppers

How would you like your child to take a bite of dinner and say, "Mama, this is my new favorite dinner!" Does that not sound like music to your ears? Well, then you need to make this! It is made in under 30 minutes, it is simple and it is made on the stove top, which makes it the perfect...

Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot

It has been in the 90s around here and if you know me, you know that I hate to fire up my oven when it is so hot outside. I bought a whole chicken at the grocery store and today was the last day before expiration. For the first time, I decided to attempt to slow cook an entire bird...

Chicken & Bacon Stuffed Ravioli in Bechamel Sauce

I had planned to have ravioli for dinner tonight but I wanted to fill it with something different. While browsing Foodnetwork.com, I came across a 
recipe by Tyler Florence for ravioli filling that sparked my interest and gave me inspiration for this dish. I wanted a cream sauce to go with the ravioli, so I continued my search on Foodnetwork and came across Mario Batali's...

Cajun Chicken Sandwich with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

My husband and I are in love with a particular Cajun Chicken Sandwich that one of our local restaurants serves. Last weekend he said to me, "It would be great if you could mimic that sandwich." Although it is not exact, it was so very close to the taste and had the perfect level...

Asian-Style Chicken, Zucchini & Rice

Since it was 96 degrees today and I had already used my oven to bake macaroni and cheese for lunch, I felt guilty firing it up again, so I decided to make a stove-top dinner. My whole family loves this meal. The chicken always comes out so tender and I love the sesame-soy...

Italian Chicken, Tomato & Mozzarella Panini on Rye

My husband was in the mood for one of his favorite meals, fried chicken. I decided to fry the chicken the way he wanted it but use it in this yummy panini. Crispy, juicy chicken with melty mozzarella cheese and sweet tomatoes are a perfect mix in probably one of my favorite panini...

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

I had a very light workload today, so I was able to spend the whole day cleaning my house. It is about one week since I have been to the grocery store, so the contents in my fridge are running a little low. The last thing I want to do is run to the store after a day of scrubbing on my hands...

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Green Pepper, Onion & Cheese

This is one of my personal favorite meals. I think I like it so much because it is so versatile and so simple. You can literally stuff this chicken with anything and it tastes so good. I have stuffed these with cooked broccoli, spinach, ham -- you name it! You can also skip the tomato sauce altogether...

Pesto Chicken with Mushrooms & Pasta

I love pesto, especially when combined with pasta and chicken! This recipe is simple and oh, so good! I served this with pesto pasta and cooked spinach. Yummy!! Next time I make this, I am going to layer some sliced tomatoes on top of the pesto and under the cheese...

Chicken Alfredo Pizza with Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Tonight, my husband is bringing home a new addition to our family, a kitten! We have not named her yet but we are thinking Molly is a cute name. He had to drive all the way to Philadelphia after work to pick her up, so I knew it would be a late night for him. Therefore, I decided to make...
Chicken Quesadillas

I had leftover roasted chicken from last night that I wanted to use. It has been quite some time since we have had chicken quesadillas and I have been craving them since seeing them recently online. These are very yummy! You can add a can of...


Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Stew


This is great for those busy days and cold nights.  I give this a 5/5 stars when sour cream and tortilla strips are added. 


Warm Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken & Spinach Salad 

This is a healthy and delicious meal. Something about salty spinach with warm honey mustard chicken and nuts paired with the sweetness of strawberries and oranges makes me feel deliciously happy inside. Spinach cooks down a lot, so be sure to have plenty on hand! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: