January 23, 2009

Dude Food

Click the recipe name to view the recipe!






I don't know about you, but the sad realization that Christmas is over coupled with the fact that there are still a few more work days before the New Year has me feeling a little blue.  After a long day, we deserve to kick off our shoes and dig in to a comforting, hearty dish of goodness.  This beef stroganoff should do the trick!  The tender and juicy steak drowning in a delicious creamy sauce...




At the start of autumn, I always make one of my husband's top-ten favorite meals, beef pot pie.  (We call it meat pie here.)  I had planned to make it for dinner, but there was one little problem - my little sous chef came down with a cold and wasn't feeling well all day.  Thankfully, she had no school for the Jewish holiday, so she could rest.  However, I still...




This recipe is so easy that I almost didn't share it, but it came at the perfect time, so here it is!  It was a very long day of work immediately followed by cleaning, running errands (piano lessons, groceries, etc.), helping my little sous chef with her homework (Everyday Math can be so frustrating)... all while being reminded that I hadn't fulfilled my promise to "play with me" yet.  At the end of the day, I thought...



Skillet Mexican Pie with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I'll be dreaming of this Skillet Mexican Pie for a while!  It was a gorgeous, sunny weekend, but we spent the better half of it indoors because my little sous chef came down with a fever.  While she napped, I found myself with a few spare hours to play around in the...



NY Strip Steak & Chicken Stir Fry with Jasmine Rice


Here's another goodie that's going on the "My Favorite Recipes" page!  My little sous chef closed her eyes and said, "Mm!  Oh, this is good!  *chomp*  Mm!  *smack*  I want to eat this every day!"  My husband pounded his fist on the table and shouted, "This is darn good!  We need to have this once a week!"  Not gonna lie - that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Believe it or not, this...



Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast in Beer


This pot roast really packs in a lot of flavor and is so simple to make.  You don't even need the hassle of searing the meat.  The only liquid used is beer, which adds a beautiful depth of deliciousness to the pot roast.       

Note:  For this recipe, I recommend using a lighter beer or one with 20 IBU...


Tequila Nachos Supreme with Ground Beef

Whether it's for a large party or a fun family night in, these nachos are easy to make and will be a hit!  Crispy nachos covered in seasoned ground beef are topped in a delicious tomato and bean mixture that is soaked in tequila.  



Celeste's Chili

Every stinking week we have another snowstorm!  10 inches of snow today and another 4-to-6 inches in the forecast for tomorrow.  Please, make it stop!  While I wasn't keen on shoveling the heavy, wet snow from my car, it was rather lovely to have a lazy snow day home...




Crock Pot Chipotle Steak Taco Bowls

Dump it, set it, forget it!  These chipotle steak taco bowls are not only easy to make, but they're bursting with flavor and require very little effort on your part.  Simply add the ingredients to your crock pot in the morning, turn the heat on low, and come...


Buffalo Chicken Dippin' Balls with Spicy Cheddar Cheese Sauce


My little 9-year-old sous chef told me that she is really excited to watch the Super Bowl with us.  Her reasoning?  "We get to eat really good food ...in the living room while we watch TV!"  If you...

  Easy Beer-Basted Baby Back Ribs

Happy Friday!  Any football fans out there?  How about that Peyton Manning last night?!  I had him starting in my fantasy football team and I am loving life today!  


Southwestern Stuffed Pepper Burgers


Grilling out tonight?  Try this delicious new twist on a burger!  Stuffed peppers are grilled, topped with spicy pepper jack cheese, and then paired with a creamy, tangy cilantro-lime dressing.  These burgers are bursting with flavor!  


Deep Fried Green Pepper Rings

Move over, onions... bell peppers are taking over!  These fried pepper rings are so easy to make and they can be done in under 15 minutes.  Try them - you won't be disappointed!  Bet you can't just eat one!  Of course, you can use any color bell pepper you prefer.



Quick & Easy Queso

We love our queso!  This recipe may not be "authentic" but it's quick, easy and oh, so tasty!



Baked Crab Rangoon Dip with Homemade Wonton Chips

Last night was a big night for us.  Eagles versus Cowboys for a chance to go to the playoffs.  I was cautiously optimistic, but if history is a good predictor of the future, at the very least, I was going to have something good to snack on!  I had made our favorite crab cakes for dinner...



Buffalo Deviled Eggs

Did you know that it's currently National Egg Salad week?  Take a guess why... all of those leftover hard-boiled eggs from Easter.  I wanted to try something new and came up with these yummy Buffalo Deviled Eggs.  They are so good and can easily be...



Bangers and Mash with Sweet Onion & Beer Gravy

My deep freezer is nearly bursting at the seams and I have been trying to slowly go through everything so that nothing goes to waste by the end of this year.  I decided to chip away at some of the sausage and make what has become one of my family's favorite comfort foods...


Slow-Roasted Barbecue Beef Spare Ribs

Have you done much grilling this summer?  So far, we've grilled ribs, shrimp, steak, chicken, sausage, burgers, corn, potatoes, and various veggies and fruits.  The other day, we grilled up some pretty delicious, sticky barbecue beef ribs for a cookout...



Jenkins Family Italian Stromboli

My very first experience making stromboli was at one of my very first jobs as a teenager, which was in the kitchen of a pizza joint.  The Italian stromboli was made with shredded steak, ham, pepperoni, onion, green pepper, mozzarella and tomato sauce.  After I...

Grilled Tequila Flank Steak with Tequila-Cilantro Sauce

Firing up the grill?  Try this grilled tequila flank steak with tequila-cilantro sauce.  The marinade is repurposed to make a sauce that is tangy and oh, so delicious.  Tequila!


Today I celebrate 500 recipes on Cooking Creation!  It's kind of hard to believe that I have posted 500 recipes in the last three short years.  Of all of the meals that I make for my family, my husband's favorite is meat pie.  Meat pie is a savory pie consisting of beef...

Sliders with Bacon, Cheddar, BBQ & Homemade Onion Rings

Dude food at its finest!  Kick back a few of these babies during the game.  Cheesy, smoky, crispy, sweet, tangy, chewy - so many wonderful things going on in this little slider!  




Italian Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Fingers

Before I start rolling out the Thanksgiving posts, I wanted to share this little guilty pleasure appetizer of mine.  The name speaks for itself.  Because the bacon helps to lock in the moisture of the chicken, every bite is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.  My favorite...


Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Crushed Doritos


Dorito-crusted macaroni and cheese - need I say more?  Sometimes it's good to live a little!  Happy first day of autumn!



Slow-Cooked Pot Roast with Red Wine & Rosemary


It doesn't get much better than a hearty pot roast after a long, hard day of work on a chilly evening.  Unwind while you dig into this savory dish.  Yum!

Spaghetti alla Bolognese (Meat Sauce)

I wanted to highlight one of my family's top 10 favorite recipes today, spaghetti alla bolognese. Bolognese is a ragu (meat-based sauce) that is hearty and packs in a whole lot of flavor.  The key to making amazing bolognese is allowing plenty of time for it to...


Grilled Bourbon Barbecue Chicken Thighs


It was an absolutely beautiful day out!  I had some extra chicken thighs that needed to be used up, so I decided to grill them using the bourbon barbecue sauce that I made for Father's Day.  Chicken thighs are so tender and juicy and this sauce really made them enjoyable!



Bourbon Barbecue Sauce



For a Father's Day treat, I decided to vamp up my Celeste's Barbecue Sauce recipe by adding some bourbon to it for grilled barbecue chicken.  It turned out fantastic!  The sauce is sweet and tangy with just the right amount of bourbon.


Italian Rigatoni Pie

I am so excited about this recipe today!  I got the idea from Martha Stewart and while I stuck to the basic instructions, I made a lot of changes to the ingredients.  The results?  It was absolutely fantastic!  My family loved it and I will definitely be making it again. 



Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

If you love buffalo wings, then this spicy and hearty sandwich topped with creamy blue cheese and cool, crunchy celery is for you!  It is perfect for the upcoming picnicking season.  Serve it with a side of carrot and celery sticks with blue cheese dressing for dipping.  






If you go back to some of my first posts, you will see that the quality of some of those photos is very poor (example here).  I have been tempted, on occasion, to delete some of the older posts that contained these poor-quality images but have always held...



While my husband and I were celebrating our 8-year anniversary on a beautiful tropical island a couple weeks ago (sigh, is it spring yet?!), we enjoyed dinner with a view of the sun setting over the ocean.  It was a magical experience that I will never forget.  One of...




Yesterday began with a hearty brunch of eggs, bacon, home fries and toast.  It was a cold Saturday with 4 inches of snow on the ground and I wasn't about to go anywhere.  Then something happened -- the baking bug bit.  It started with delectable red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and...



If you really want to impress your dinner guests for the holidays or any special occasion, I highly recommend this beef tenderloin recipe.  It is a restaurant-quality dish that I would pay a pretty penny for.  The meat is extremely tender and flavorful and the sauce...  



Busy Weeknight Pan-Fried Cube Steak with Brown Gravy

In case you were unaware, I am a proud (and somewhat obsessed) couponer.  I'm talking coupon binder in tow at the grocery store, stock piled pantry at home, etc.  After clipping Sunday newspaper coupons, organizing them in my binder, scoping out sales...


Country Fried Chicken & Gravy

What a beautiful day we were blessed with today!  After spending more than half of it recovering from outpatient surgery, I finally was feeling back to normal and ready to enjoy the day.  How do I spend my free time on a beautiful day?  In the kitchen, of course! 


Crispy Chicken Wings


Autumn is my favorite season for so many reasons.  The colors, the food, the gorgeous weather... and football!  We sure love our Philadelphia Eagles and if you happen to pass by our house during a game, you will be sure to hear our obnoxiously loud shouting team spirit through the windows.  Last...


Chicken Fried Steak & Gravy

I am very happy and proud to say that I got my husband hooked on Guy Fieri's show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.  One night while we were watching it, Guy stopped in at a restaurant and had chicken fried steak.  It looked so appealing...



Bacon & Egg Breakfast Cups

One day, I received an email from my husband with the strange subject line of, "OMG. I want".  I opened the email to find something very unexpected -- a huge photo of bacon cups cradling eggs over light.  Suddenly, the subject line made perfect sense.

Southwestern Burgers with Chipotle Sauce

Remember the addicting creamy cheddar chipotle sauce recipe that I posted a few days ago?  I decided to use it on burgers to give them a southwestern spin.  My family loved them and my husband told me that it was the best burger he has had in a long time... and I totally agree!  


Making your own jerky is incredibly easy.  From BBQ to honey mustard, you can easily control the flavor to your liking!  There is no need for use of a dehydrator because you can slowly roast these babies in the oven, although a dehydrator would cut down...




We had twice-baked potatoes and haddock one night for dinner this week.  Whenever I make twice-baked potatoes, I save the skins (no wasting food here!) so I can make baked potato skins as a snack.  Baked potato skins are a great snack because...




Slow-Roasted BBQ Pork Baby Back Ribs

We had my granddaddy over for dinner tonight and my husband suggested that we have ribs.  Mmm! These turned out tender and tasty! Use your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is our favorite) or make your own (see my recipe here)   These ribs...


Homemade Baked French Fries



Homemade baked french fries are perfect for your super bowl festivities.  They are soft on the inside and crisp on the outside.



Surf & Turf

My sweet neighbor recently gave me a ton of fresh parsley. I have been cooking with it here and there but freshness time is coming to an end and I have about 1 cup left. We are having surf and turf (flank steak and shrimp) for dinner tonight and making...


Italian Sausage, Pepper & Onion Pasta


Yesterday was just one of those days. I was swamped with work and in the middle of it all, I received a phone call that my Granddaddy went to the ER with chest pains. I waited for my daughter to get home from school, dropped her off at my mom's...



Buffalo Chicken Dip


The Philadelphia Eagles are in the playoffs today at 4:30 PM against the Green Bay Packers. Playoffs in my house = not-so-healthy snack food. My husband was looking forward to me making buffalo chicken dip. If you like a lot of spice, this packs in a lot of it -- just...

  Homemade Taco PizzaHappy Veteran's Day! I was originally planning on making something red, white and blue but that fell through. Red tomatoes, white crust and a blue plate close enough, though? I was going to write a long intro for this recipe but I think it can all be summed up in two words: Taco pizza. Enough said. 


Chuck Eye Steak with Onion & Green Pepper in Red Wine Sauce


My daughter has piano lessons every Tuesday at 5:00, which leaves very little time for dinner preparation, so I normally make a quick-and-easy dinner or a crock pot meal. I decided on a hearty steak and mashed potato dinner tonight because it is freezing out... 


Beef & Rice Burrito

Busy, busy day today! Not much time for cooking but that doesn't mean we can't have something that tastes yummy! My husband had recently mentioned in passing that he would like a beef burrito, so you know that I jumped all over that. He is one of those...


Steak & Mushroom Soup

We had grilled flank steak with mashed potatoes last week for dinner. My husband is not a big fan of eating leftover steak but I found a way to get him to do it and enjoy it! I decided to use the steak in a soup and it turned out wonderful! This may...



Meat and Potatoes... and Beer (Dude Food) in the Crock Pot

Today is the first day of autumn! YAY! It also is getting up to 90 degrees. BOO! I would normally braise the chuck roast with the aid of the oven but there is no way I was about to make my poor air conditioning work that hard; therefore, I decided to...



My husband and I are in love with a particular Cajun Chicken Sandwich that one of our local restaurants serves. Last weekend he said to me, "It would be great if you could mimic that sandwich." Although it is not exact, it was so very close...

Cheeseburger Topped with Homemade Old-Fashioned Onion Rings

When we decided to grill burgers for dinner tonight, my husband had a great idea to add the onion rings I had made to our burgers. This was SO delicious! My daughter said, "You're a great cook, mama! I wish my mouth was bigger so I could eat more!" Success!


  Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pizza BitesI was browsing through some of my favorite cooking blogs the other day and came across a recipe for pizza bites that gave me inspiration for this recipe. Oh my goodness gracious are these good! You can stuff these with anything. I think I am going...


Beef Barbecue Sandwiches Topped with French Fried Onions


Since I made some BBQ sauce today, I am of course going to be using it this evening for dinner. The French's fried onions were the perfect addition to this sandwich. This is one of those meals that you keep eating even when you are full because the taste is so good. 


Buffalo Chicken Pizza

I had a very light workload today, so I was able to spend the whole day cleaning my house. It is about one week since I have been to the grocery store, so the contents in my fridge are running a little low. The last thing I want to do is run to the store after a...


Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches

Today is one of those rare, beautiful, spring-like March days. The sun is out, I can hear Maddy laughing with the neighbors in the backyard and the birds are singing away. I was definitely in a picnic-type mood, so pork BBQ sandwiches were in order. This...



Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Stew

This is great for those busy days and cold nights.  I give this a 5/5 stars when sour cream and tortilla strips are added. 


Blooming Pizza Bread

Remember the 
Blooming Bacon Cheddar Ranch Bread that hit the front page of AOL.com back in February?  Well, I decided to go along with a pizza theme this time.  The results?  Amazing!  I really need to reserve making these for when I have company -- when


My husband has been craving pierogi for the past several days and we found ourselves with some extra time Sunday night to make them.  It turned out to be a very special day because my little sous chef was able to stuff, seal and boil the pierogi...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: