September 29, 2009

Vegetarian

Click the recipe name to view the recipe!





I'm here to profess my undying love for my Instant Pot.  I've made so many wonderful things with it, and it's hard to choose what has been my favorite so far.  Chicken that literally falls off the bone, pot roast that melts in your mouth, healthy bone broth, hearty soups, amazingly creamy...



'Tis the season for zucchini!  As much as I love a good zucchini cake, after a while, I get tired of the same old zucchini desserts.  Enter Zucchini Crisp.  Shh!  Don't tell anyone, and I promise they'll never know that this crisp has zucchini in it.  It tastes just like apples and the consistency is just like apples, too!  Really?  Really!  My daughter, who HATES zucchini, gobbled it up and absolutely loved it.  Once I told her what was really in it, she had a complete look of disbelief on her...



These are our favorite granola bars.  They're amazingly good, super easy to make, perfectly chewy, and they won't crumble on you!  The only problem you'll have with these is suppressing your urge to eat them all!  




Well, we're heading into our third week of homeschooling already!  I love spending the extra time with my little sous chef and also the freedom that we have in our schedule.  Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons, but I have a feeling that homeschooling is going to top my list this year!  Speaking of fall, it's not quite here yet, but it sure has felt like it for some...



Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried "Rice"

We're expected to get about a foot of snow between today and tomorrow!  Since my little sous chef and I were snowed in today and I was able to finish work early, I decided to venture into the kitchen and try something different.  I've been noticing cauliflower being used in place of rice in recipes, and I've wanted to try it for myself for quite some...



Homemade Almond Milk (Step-By-Step Instructions)

Making your own almond milk is so easy!  You just need to plan ahead for it.  It's raw, lactose-free, unprocessed, and healthy.  It's also creamy and delicious!  Simply soak the almonds in water for 12 hours, drain them, and then process the almonds in the blender with fresh water.  You can also add other...



Skinny Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds, Blueberries & Banana

My little sous chef was home sick yesterday with a yucky cold.  The only thing that she wanted to eat all day was oatmeal.  I get it.  It's comforting, it's tasty, and it warms the soul.  There are also so many wonderful health benefits to eating oats, and I have been trying to incorporate them...



Superfood Quinoa & Three-Bean Chili (Vegetarian)

Oh, to be a kid again and wake up to find you have a two-hour delay from school!  When I was a kid, winter was my favorite time of year, and everything seemed to be magically followed by a hot cup of cocoa.  Now?  Not so much.  Right now, you could ice skate on my driveway, my car is covered in ice, the air hurts my face, and I really don't want to know what my electric heat is...



Homemade Cinnamon-Spiced Applesauce with Canning Instructions

One of my favorite things to do on a chilly fall day is make applesauce.  It's super easy, tastes better than any of that store-bought stuff you can buy, and it makes the house smell ahh-mazing while it's simmering!  For the best flavor, try to use a variety of apples that are good 



Easy Pumpkin Cheesecake & Gingersnap Trifles

Happy National Dessert Day!  Treat yourself to these quick, easy, and delicious pumpkin cheesecake trifles with crushed gingersnaps.  They're so good, you might find yourself eating the whole thing like I did!




I can never relate to the parent that says they're happy to shove their kids back on the school bus and get them out of their hair when school starts back up.  For me, it's a sad time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited that my little sous chef is getting bigger and starting 4th grade, but I really do enjoy those precious moments of summer break with her each day!  If you haven't...




It started a couple weeks ago while we were celebrating the wedding of some friends.  After a very touching, beautiful ceremony, we found ourselves enjoying cocktail hour with friends and family.  Mid-conversation, a tray of what looked to be martinis were presented to us.  Pumpkin martinis you say?  Sure, I'll try one.  One sip, ahhh - I was in heaven!  They were the most it was the most (okay, so I had two!) delicious pumpkin...




This summery fruit salsa makes for an attractive and delicious garnish to grilled chicken, pork, and fish.  It's also good as a dip for tortilla chips.  Light, fresh, healthy, and easy to throw together - perfect for your summer festivities!  




Organic heirloom tomatoes are given a Southwestern flare, stuffed in a hearty portobello mushroom, and topped with an egg.  It's a healthy and delicious vegetarian breakfast with a little bit of a spicy kick.  If you're not into the whole vegetarian thing, cooked bacon...




The first time I introduced my husband to guacamole, he was not a fan of it.  At.  All.  I, on the other hand, am a self-proclaimed guacamoholic.  It's very healthy, but I try hard not to overindulge because of the high calorie count.  A few years back, we fell in love with these beautiful salads at a local Mexican restaurant that included a little side of guacamole.  I don't know if it was because...



Cherry Crumble Bars

Oh, how I love sweet cherries!  They are in season for far too short a time, so I jump on them as soon as I see a good sale.  As a little girl, I remember my Grandmommy putting them in the freezer, pits and all.  Later on in the evening, we would take them...



Tropical Oat Bars with Pineapple & Coconut

Looking forward to your next vacation?  These oat bars will send your taste buds straight to paradise!  Sweet pineapple, flaked coconut, and freshly squeezed lime juice give them a delicious tropical flare.  The pineapple filling in the center is made...



Vegetarian Mexican-Style Stuffed Mini Peppers



Give your taste buds a fun ride with these vegetarian stuffed mini sweet peppers!  They are given a Mexican spin using cilantro, lime, black beans, rice, corn, tomatoes, onions, and even a little splash of tequila.  The sweetness of the peppers are beautifully...



(Flourless & Butterless) Carrot Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze


Just because we're spring cleaning our diets doesn't mean that we have to deprive ourselves of the things that we love!  I had a few hours to myself between my little sous chef's dance recital and violin concert this weekend, so I decided to fool around with some ingredients and make healthy cookies that I can treat myself to throughout the week.  I came up with these flourless and butterless...



We've been doing some spring cleaning of our diets recently, especially since I've gained my usual 5-pound winter weight.  I'm very anxious to get back on the tennis courts and bike trail again!  I had a beautiful package of mixed baby greens...



Strawberry, Kale & Carrot Smoothie


This is a super healthy and refreshing smoothie that is low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals.  Oh, and it's pretty darn delicious, too!  I didn't add any honey to my smoothie because my strawberries were sweet enough on their own, but you certainly can add...



Cold & Flu Popsicles with Strawberry, Kale and Thyme

We have been a hot mess of sickness in my home for these past few weeks, and my little sous chef was the last one to get it.  Since all of our weekend plans were shot, I had a little extra time to play in the kitchen.  I wanted to give my baby some relief from her symptoms, so I came up with these cold and flu...
Roasted Broccoli & Rosemary Tart with Smoked Gouda

Well, we've made it through the first full week of March without any snow.  Hallelujah!  With Spring being less than 2 weeks away, Daylight Savings being this weekend (don't forget!), and today being Friday, I'm feeling very positive.  I can't wait to see fresh, green grass...




Baked Ranch Macaroni & Cheese

We've been hammered with snowstorm after snowstorm this winter and, once again, we found ourselves snowed in.  I decided to make some comforting, warming macaroni and cheese for my family with a fun little twist.  The ranch flavor deliciously shines...  




Every Saturday morning, I cook a big breakfast for my family.  It's one of my favorite parts of the week.  The smell of bacon, the sound of dishes clanging, the warm mug of coffee in my hands, the sight of my family in their PJs... and as an added bonus, the scene of snowflakes falling silently outside the back door.  When I asked my family what sounded good for breakfast this morning, my husband...



Stuffed Acorn Squash with Eggs, Spinach & Pepper Jack

Here is a healthy baked breakfast that not only looks elegant but is easy to do!  You get two stuffed acorn rings per serving and each ring is only 133 calories!  


Roasted Carrot Soup


My lovely mother was raving over some carrot soup that she and my dad love, so I asked her to forward the recipe to me one day.  I finally got around to trying it and I'm so glad that I did!  It's rich, creamy, and perfect for a chilly autumn day.  The fennel and cloves...


Grilled Corn on the Cob with Cilantro-Lime Butter

While corn on the cob is delicious with a little butter, I enjoy enhancing it from time to time with herb butters. Cilantro-lime butter is easy to make and it gives grilled corn on the cob a pleasantly fresh and zesty kick.  


Garlic "Mashed" Cauliflower with Cheddar

Cauliflower is packed with many essential vitamins and minerals and it is also low in calories, low in saturated fat, and high in fiber.  It's definitely something that I have been trying to incorporate more frequently into my dinner rotation.  Though not technically...



Twice-Baked Potatoes

We had cod with chipotle aioli sauce (recipe to come) for dinner tonight and I decided that twice-baked potatoes would make a perfect side.  Twice-baked potatoes are comforting, delicious and very forgiving.  If you prefer them creamier, add more milk.  

Southwestern Omelette with Pepper Jack & Black Beans

Lazy Saturdays.  I live for those few-and-far-between days when we can sleep in until 9:00, wear our pajamas until noon, and not have a commitment until the evening.  While making brunch for my family in my pajamas with Blake Shelton serenading me in the kitchen...


Start off your day with this warm, healthy breakfast that's baked in your own personal apple cup.  So good, it's hard to believe they are under 200 calories per serving! 

Skinny Macaroni & Cheese

Cutting down the calories and fat definitely does not compromise the flavor in this Skinny Mac n' Cheese!  Yes, it is possible to enjoy a delicious, cheesy macaroni and cheese with a lot less guilt!  Pureed potato is used as a thickening agent in place of butter and flour...




Cheddar & Garlic Biscuits 



After years of tweaking, I have finally come up with perfectly delicious, soft and fluffy cheddar and garlic biscuits.  Making your own biscuits from scratch is quick and simple and the results are well worth the effort.  These are extremely addictive.  My husband keeps...



Quinoa Cakes with Artichoke, Spinach & Caramelized Onion

My current food craving is quinoa.  I needed to find a way to use up some baby spinach and artichoke and I came up with these tasty little cakes this afternoon on my lunch break.  They are more than just delicious - they are highly nutritious and only 100 calories per cake!


Quinoa Salad with Asparagus & Almonds in Balsamic Vinaigrette


My back door was sending me conflicting information a few days ago - snow in spring?  It can't be!  Even though spring hasn't quite started out as I had hoped, I am still in the spirit.  We have already started on our spring cleaning and I have been admiring...



Homemade Chewy Granola Bars



My plans this past weekend were completely shot because I spent Friday and Saturday taking care of my sick little girl.  By Sunday afternoon, she was feeling better and we decided to continue on with our plans to go to my brother-in-law's house to sow seed for the garden this year.  

Baked Buffalo Broccoli Bites

Opt for a healthier choice for your Super Bowl festivities this year without sacrificing flavor!  I came up with these buffalo broccoli bites after feeling guilty about my lack of healthy snacks.  These bites are breaded in Panko crumbs, baked in the oven and then drizzled...



Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Pecans

Twice-baked sweet potatoes would make a fantastic addition to your holiday meal.  They are easy to prepare and so delicious!  Unlike a casserole, you can easily adjust the toppings to accommodate the preferences of whomever you're serving.


Mexican Rice & Black Beans


This is one of my favorite Mexican side dishes!  It is spicy, garlicy and very flavorful.  I made Chipotle Shrimp Tacos for my family the other night and it was the perfect complement to them.  If you're a vegetarian, you can serve this as a main dish.  A word of...




Dorito-crusted macaroni and cheese - need I say more?  Sometimes it's good to live a little!  Happy first day of autumn!




Stuffed Baked Apples with Brown Sugar & Walnuts



These baked apples are warm and sweet and one of my favorite autumn treats. 


Spicy Zucchini Boats with Tomato & Pepper Jack

The garden has been coming along very well.  We are harvesting lots of vegetables -- tomatoes, zucchini, squash, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.  I had some fresh zucchini, squash and tomato that needed to be used up in my fridge.  Zucchini boats have been...



Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries, Bananas & Walnuts

We harvested so many sweet blueberries from the garden yesterday and I decided to use them in baked oatmeal.  This has a soft banana base with sweet blueberries, warm oatmeal and crunchy walnuts throughout, and a crisp topping.  Drizzle some maple syrup on...





So many of my favorite vegetables are in season right now.  It was lunchtime and I found myself in the mood for ratatouille... but I wanted to do something different.  There were quite a few green peppers in my fridge, so I decided to stuff them with the ratatouille.  If you are a...



There aren't very many things that I enjoy more than spending lazy Saturdays with my family.  Sleeping in, slowly awakening between the cold sheets, and knowing that you have no obligations for the rest of the day other than to relax and spend time...




Here is another great summer dish, a delicious Italian spin on the classic grilled cheese sandwich!  I came across the recipe on Closet Cooking and it has quickly become one of my favorite sandwiches.



This salad is cool, fresh, crunchy, packed with nutrients and perfect for summer.  If you're unfamiliar with quinoa, it has a light and fluffy texture and a mildly nutty flavor.  It is easy to digest and is not as filling as other grains.  Quinoa dates back to the ancient Inca civilization...



Roasted Sunny-Side Up Eggs in Rings of Onion over Zucchini

While catching up on Facebook this past Friday, I came across a picture that my husband posted to my wall that he found on reddit.com.  It was a lovely picture of a sunny-side up egg inside an onion ring and I was excited about the idea.   There was also some...


Buffalo Deviled Eggs

Did you know that it's currently National Egg Salad week?  Take a guess why... all of those leftover hard-boiled eggs from Easter.  I wanted to try something new and came up with these yummy Buffalo Deviled Eggs.  They are so good and can easily be adjusted...



Tomato Bruschetta with Chipotle-Aioli Sauce

We had cod with chipotle-aioli sauce one night this week for dinner and I wanted to use up the remaining sauce before it went bad.  I decided to use it to make bruschetta (being the bruschettoholic that I am) and it turned out fabulous.  The sauce is creamy, slightly tangy...




Crispy, shaved vegetables with salty prosciutto bits in a tangy balsamic vinaigrette topped with crumbled feta cheese yields a delicious and healthy salad.  This is a beautiful, elegant side that compliments just about any entree.  I served mine with roasted beef tenderloin.


Maple Sweet Potato & Caramelized Onion Frittata


My Granddaddy brought over some sweet potatoes from his garden for me one night this week and I wanted to try something new, something different than the normal sweet potato pie.  Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I was going to use them in some...


Southwestern Bruschetta



It was between lunch and dinner and I found myself craving a snack, particularly something Mexican.  I had made some guacamole and had French baguette that I needed to use up, so I decided to make southwestern bruschetta.  Simple and delicious.     

Vegetable & Cheese Pierogi

My family loves pierogi.  They are salty and crunchy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside.  You can stuff them with anything you want, which makes them a perfect meal to pull out leftovers for.  This dough is extremely simple, easy to work with...


Potato & Kale Frittata


This is a delicious, comforting breakfast that is healthy and filling.  I love frittatas because they are quick, easy and very versatile.  I always try to have a variation of it in my fridge for lunch or breakfast throughout the week.  The addition of bacon would be a wonderful...



Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Soup



I have come across a rather large amount of recipes recently using the combination of pumpkin, peanut butter and pureed butternut squash or sweet potatoes in soup and I am crazy about the idea, especially considering how healthy it is. All caught up...


Homemade Asparagus & Basil Tortellini Stuffed with Cheese in Marinara Sauce

Hooray for grandparents offering to take your child for a sleepover for no reason other than just because! I figure a romantic Italian dinner is in order tonight. I decided to make tortellini (yet another thing to cross off on my to-cook list) ahead of time and freeze...



Amish Macaroni Salad


One of my favorite things about this time of the year is picnicing with family and friends.  There is always fear of not having enough food, yet everyone leaves with leftovers.  My absolute favorite picnic food is my mother-in-law's potato salad.  It is to DIE for!  My second...



Dal Makhani (Indian Vegetarian Stew)

I would first like to start off by saying, thank you so very much for all of your votes and support in this challenge! I was so thrilled when I found out that I advanced to the next level in Project Food Blog!





These are wonderful little appetizers. Eat with caution! You'll find yourself popping one in your mouth here and there until they magically disappear! Be careful taking them out of the oven, so none of them topple over.



For lunch today, I was in the mood for Caprese. The problem is, I was out of fresh basil. I figured, I like the taste of parsley more than basil in general, so why should not having basil stop me from enjoying my Caprese? I really need to start a potted herb garden!




One of my family's favorite movies is Ratatouille. I often wondered about the dish that Remy served the food critic. I have had ratatouille before but I have only had it as a stew and as a side dish. I decided to do some research on it and came across something very...



It's the hottest day of the year at 96 degrees. I am completely caught up with my transcription work, my air conditioner is cranked way up and I am in between loads of laundry. I have had a hankering for some homemade macaroni and cheese the past...



Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad

I stumbled across these big, beautiful heads of broccoli and cauliflower from a local farmer for a great price and I instantly knew that I would be using them for a salad. This is light and tasty! Sunflower seeds and raisins are a great addition to this salad as well.


Au Gratin Potatoes

I found this recipe on Foodnetwork.com and knew I had to try it after reading all of the rave reviews. This came out super creamy and very rich. I personally thought this was amazing but my husband found it to be too rich to enjoy more than one serving and if...


Homemade Ricotta-Parmesan Ravioli in Marinara


I was in the mood for some ravioli for dinner tonight. I have made pierogis in the past but I have never tried to make my own ravioli. The filling is simple and versatile, the dough is easy to work with (I use this dough for my pierogis) and the marinara sauce is my favorite...


Asian Tofu, Green Pepper & Carrot Stir Fry



Today is my birthday. Don't bother asking my age because this is the first year that I will probably lie about it. I have received some lovely happy birthday wishes and tons of flowers and cards from family and close friends. My husband wanted to take me out to dinner...

Baked Potato Soup

There has been a lot of talk recently about potato soup everywhere I go it seems, causing me to crave it. Since today was another beautiful 80-degree spring day, another stove-top meal was called for. Also, baking potatoes are on sale this week for super cheap, so it all just makes sense. This is my favorite potato soup... 


Blooming Pizza Bread


Remember the Blooming Bacon Cheddar Ranch Bread that hit the front page of AOL.com back in February?  Well, I decided to go along with a pizza theme this time.  The results?  Amazing!  I really need to reserve making these for when I have company...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: