This is great for those busy days and cold nights. I give this a 5/5 stars when sour cream and tortilla strips are added.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5) can of undrained beans of your choice, e.g., chili, kidney, black.
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 12-fl oz good-quality beer (may substitue with chicken broth)
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 oz salsa (I use medium heat)
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Shredded Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
- Tortilla strips (optional)
- Salt, to taste
Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, diced tomatoes and salsa in a slow cooker. Stir in taco seasoning. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup 30 minutes before serving. Shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
Serve topped with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and tortilla chips.