March 3, 2010

Salisbury Steak

I had some ground beef and mushrooms that I had to use, so I decided to make salisbury steaks for dinner tonight and I served it with fresh cooked carrots and mashed potatoes. To thicken my sauce, I used some of the mashed potatoes instead of thickening with flour. This is my go-to salisbury steak recipe. I have also made this with ground turkey for a healthier approach and it was also very yummy.


Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 c bread crumbs 
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided 
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 c onion, minced
  • 20 button mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 c beef broth
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine beef, Worcestershire, bread crumb, onion powder, salt and pepper. Form into 3 to 4 (depending on desired size) oval-shaped, 1/2-inch-thick patties.
  2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add the patties and cook on each side for approximately 5 to 6 minutes, until thoroughly cooked.  Press down on the patties with a spatula occasionally to maintain the thickness and avoid bulging. 
  3. Set the patties aside and cover with a tinfoil tent.
  4. Using the same pan, add the remaining olive oil and butter (sometimes I will add a splash of white wine here), scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
  5. Add flour to pan and constantly stir for about 2 minutes.  Whisk in broth and allow to thicken for at least 2 minutes. For a thicker gravy, add more flour.
  6. Add the patties to the gravy and simmer for at least 5 minutes. 
  7. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe! Everyone in my house loves these. Every time I ask my daughter what she wants to eat this week, this is always in her top two! 8 )

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: