March 1, 2010

Shrimp Arrabbiata



I had a very busy day today getting errands done. I was in the mood for pasta and shrimp for dinner but I wanted something different from my usual dishes. I found this recipe at myrecipes.com. Arrabbiata comes from the Italian word for "angry" because of the spicy tomato and red pepper sauce and it definitely lives up to its name. It was fast, simple and delicious and I had all of the ingredients already in my pantry. There were a few modifications I made to the recipe from the original, i.e., addition of green pepper, addition of sea salt and less onion. I normally cook my pasta/shrimp meals in a white sauce, so this was a nice change of pace. This recipe is not for those intolerant to spicy foods. I will be making this again, but most likely with meatballs next time. I served this dish with garlic bread and asparagus.




Ingredients: 
Modified recipe and picture by cuckooking.blogspot.com
Original recipe by http://myrecipes.com

  • 8 oz thin spaghetti
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 c onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c green pepper, chopped
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped


Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with salt; add shrimp to pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Transfer shrimp to a bowl.
  3. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add onion, green pepper, minced garlic, basil, and crushed red pepper to pan; saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or just until sauce begins to thicken.
  4. Return shrimp to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Add parsley to the pan, stirring well to combine. Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: