- 1 1/4 sticks of butter
- 1 1/3 c white sugar
- 3/4 c PLUS 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 bag English toffee pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and make sure rack is in the lower 3rd of oven.
- Coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large, heat-proof bowl, combine butter, sugar and cocoa. Set bowl in a large skillet of water and simmer over low-medium heat. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is hot to the touch. Remove from heat and cool until warm.
- Stir in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time.
- When batter is smooth and shiny, slowly add flour until well-mixed.
- Stir in toffee, reserving a bit for the top.
- Pour mixture into baking pan and top with the remaining toffee.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.