April 30, 2010

Homemade Pizza Crust

When my husband came home late the night I made Chicken Alfredo pizza, he raved about the crust. I had no pictures of it on hand to post the recipe on my blog, so I thought I would make another today and have pizza for lunch. The dough is very easy to work with. This is my go-to pizza dough recipe.


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c warm water
  • 1 pkg active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning 
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tbsp olive oil PLUS extra for brushing
  • 1/2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to sprinkle
  • 1/2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese, to sprinkle (you can use any cheese -- Romano tastes great; it just won't brown like mozzarella does)
Directions:

  • In a large bowl, combine the warm water and yeast.   Stir in the flour, garlic powder, salt, sugar.  Knead the dough and shape into a round disc.
  • Cover and place dough in a warm, dry and moist place and allow to rise, until double.
  • Pound down the dough.  Press and stretch to form a 12-inch pizza.
  • Place dough on a greased pizza pan and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
  • Dock (poke holes) with fork.



**I like to pre-bake the dough early in the day at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, place the toppings on and refrigerate until I'm ready to bake it for dinner.  I then throw the pizza in at 425 for 10 to 15 minutes.  

To make a pizza without pre-baking:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Top with your favorite toppings.  Sprinkle oregano over all.
  • Generously brush olive oil over the outer portion where the crust of the pizza is to ensure it does not dry out. I like to sprinkle some garlic salt over it as well.
  • Bake until toppings begin to turn brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: