May 2, 2010

Low-Fat Tomato-Basil Lasagna with Prosciutto

After eating like Little Miss Piggy while down at the beach, I wanted to find something a little lower in fat to make for dinner. Cookinglight.com has this top rated recipe section under five-star Italian dishes that I have been wanting to try. I made a few personal changes to the recipe to suit my taste. I think this turned out very well. The taste was great, especially for a low-fat meal! If I ever pull out this recipe to make again (I probably won't because after tons of recipes, I am still in search of a favorite go-to lasagna recipe), I will make some tweaks to it. The prosciutto was a different element that I enjoyed trying but I would substitute it with another meat like chicken or lean beef or just leave it out completely. I would also add some frozen spinach and add a little more garlic. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being I just died and went to food heaven and 1 being I just died because it tasted nasty and gave me food poisoning, I would give it a solid 8.


Ingredients:
Makes 9 servings

  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced and crushed into a paste
  • 1 16-ounce container of 1% low-fat cottage cheese
  • 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
  • 1/4 c freshly grated Asiago cheese, divided
  • 2 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 26-ounce bottle fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
  • 12 cooked lasagna noodles
  • 1 c chopped prosciutto
  • 1 c shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Add garlic, cottage cheese, cream cheese, 2 tbsp Asiago, basil, salt, pepper and egg to food processor; process until well-blended.
  • Spread 1/2 c pasta sauce in bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over the pasta sauce; top with 1 c cheese mixture, 1/3 c prosciutto and 3/4 c pasta sauce. Repeat the layers two times, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp Asiago and mozzarella.
  • Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let lasagna stand for 5 minutes.
  • Enjoy!
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 272 (19% from fat)
Fat: 5.6g (sat 2.8g, mono 1.8g, poly 0.6g)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: