June 3, 2010

Italian Chicken, Tomato and Mozzarella Panini on Rye

My husband was in the mood for one of his favorite meals, fried chicken. I decided to fry the chicken the way he wanted it but use it in this yummy panini. Crispy, juicy chicken with melty mozzarella cheese and sweet tomatoes are a perfect mix in probably one of my favorite panini recipes. I normally substitute the fresh tomatoes with tomato sauce but I had some fresh tomatoes in my pantry that I wanted to use up.


Ingredients:

  • Rye bread (I use seedless)
  • Butter or margarine for spreading on bread
  • 1 plum tomato, sliced
  • Mozzarella, sliced
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
  • 1 c Italian-style breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Fresh ground pepper, to taste
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
Directions:
  • In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
  • In another medium bowl, beat egg.
  • Dip chicken tenders in egg and then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
  • Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic until it becomes fragrant.
  • Fry chicken on both sides until cooked through and golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes per side. Be careful to not overcook as the chicken will dry out.
  • Butter one side of each piece of rye bread. Arrange chicken, mozzarella and tomatoes on the non-buttered side of bread.
  • Cook in panini maker to desired doneness.
  • Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: