June 22, 2010

Asian-Style Chicken, Zucchini and Rice

Since it was 96 degrees today and I had already used my oven to bake macaroni and cheese for lunch, I felt guilty firing it up again, so I decided to make a stove-top dinner. My whole family loves this meal. The chicken always comes out so tender and I love the sesame-soy sauce flavor it has. It really is a quick and versatile dish. This has a tiny, tiny spicy kick to it. If you are not a fan of spicy food, simply leave the pepper flakes out.


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 c carrots, julienned
  • 2 c zucchini, cut in strips
  • 14 oz chicken broth PLUS 1/4 c chicken broth
  • 2 c Minute White Rice, uncooked
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 2 tsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp peanut sauce
  • Chinese Five Spice, dash
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 3 eggs (optional)
Directions:

  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring until fragrant.
  • Add vegetables. Season with Chinese Five Spice. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
  •  Add chicken. Stir occasionally, until lightly browned.


    • Stir in 14 oz chicken broth and bring to a boil.
    • In a small bowl, combine 1/4 c chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and peanut oil. Add to chicken and vegetables.
    • Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are cooked to desired doneness.
    • Season with salt.
    • Optional: In the meantime, scramble the eggs until they just begin to turn brown. Add eggs to skillet.
    • Serve hot and enjoy!

    5 comments:

    1. Celeste, I don't know where to begin. This stir-fry is wonderful but then so is your blog. This is my first visit here and I spent some time reading through your earlier posts. I love your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi, Mary! Thank you for such kind words. I take them as a huge compliment coming from you! I am your newest follower and look forward to seeing more great recipes from you :) Your photography is amazing! Celeste

      ReplyDelete
    3. Celeste,

      Glad I found your great blog. Look forward to following you here. Love the dish, especially seasoning with Chinese five spice.

      Be Well...

      ReplyDelete
    4. That's a dish my family would love. And Chinese five spice in it, what a great find. Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Our temperatures are in the 90s now, too. It is almost torture to turn on the oven. This sounds like a great way to avoid too much heat!

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: