July 13, 2010

Tomato and Basil Bruschetta


This week is Kids' Camp at our church and I have been so busy with it that I have had very little time for some relaxing cooking. Dinners have been a rush and I finally had some breathing time tonight. When my husband I were dating, he introduced me to bruschetta. I had never even heard of it and I fell in love at first bite. I picked up some French baguette at the grocery store and decided that this would be a very nice snack for tonight. 


Ingredients:


  • 8 slices French baguette, thinly sliced
  • 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh basil, finley chopped 
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp onion salt
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (use fresh tomatoes when in season)
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine 1 tbsp of the olive oil, balsamic vinegar , basil, garlic powder, onion salt and diced tomatoes.  Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, brush the remaining olive oil over one side of each baguette and lightly sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.

Bake the baguettes in the preheated oven until lightly browned.

Spoon the tomato mixture evenly onto each piece of baguette.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.  At this point, I like to lightly drizzle some extra balsamic vinegar on top of each piece but that is completely optional.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! It looks delicious! And easy makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I love anything with balsamic vinegar.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: