March 3, 2010

Pork and Sauerkraut


My husband and I grew up in Pennsylvania, where we still reside today. Growing up, my family never had pork and sauerkraut. It was a tradition in my husband's family to have pork and sauerkraut every New Years Day. In fact, the first time I ever had pork and sauerkraut, I was with my husband's family when we were dating and I thought it sounded disgusting; however, it is something that I fell in love with over time. We will even have it on occasion throughout the year and not just on New Years Day. I have tried this recipe many different ways: With and without brown sugar, with and without caraway seeds, with and without apples, with and without onions, etc. We find that less is more when it comes to this dish. I always serve this with mashed potatoes. Applesauce is also a very nice side with this. This has become one of my favorite comfort foods and I love how it makes my house smell while it is cooking -- yum!


Ingredients:

  • 1 boneless pork roast
  • 2 c sauerkraut with juices (we use my brother-in-law's amazing homemade kraut)
  • 1/2 tsp caraway seed
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder, to taste
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:

  • Rub a liberal amount of kosher salt and pepper all over the pork.  Sprinkle garlic powder and caraway seed on top.
  • Place the pork roast in the bottom of a crock pot. Cover the pork roast completely with the sauerkraut and juices.
  • Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, or until cooked through.
  • Serve with mashed potatoes and apple sauce.
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: