September 16, 2010

Candied Orange Peel

I was browsing through one of my favorite food blogs, Jacob's Kitchen, and came across something that intrigued me so much that I had to try it ASAP! I am so glad that I tried them. They are so sweet with a hint of bitterness (if you want no bitterness flavor and just sweet, blanch them one additional time). Orange peel packs tons of vitamin C in it!


Ingredients:
  • 6 navel oranges
  • Cold water for blanching
Sugar Syrup
  • 6 c sugar
  • 2 c water
Other
  • Granulated sugar, for coating
Directions:
  • Thoroughly scrub the oranges. Remove the peels and julienne.
  • Place the orange peels in a sauce pan and cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Remove orange peels from water, drain and rinse with cold water. Repeat one more time.
  • Meanwhile, make the sugar syrup: In a large sauce pan, whisk together the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Add the orange peels to the syrup and simmer for an hour.
  • Remove the orange peels and allow to cool slightly. Roll the peels in sugar to coat.
  • Lay out on parchment paper and allow to cool overnight.
  • ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sommer and Pam! They taste (well, tasted) great. They didn't make it very long, though. My daughter and I gobbled them up in 5 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: