September 14, 2010

Project Food Blog Challenge #1

Mouths to Feed and Readers to Read

For the first challenge of Project Food Blog, I am to blog about what defines me as a food blogger and why I should be the next food blog star. 400 out of 2,000 contestants will advance to the next level based on this first blog post alone. The winner of Project Food Blog is featured on Foodbuzz.com for one year and wins $10,000.00!

First, a little history. I married my best friend on Valentine's Day in 2004.

The very next day after returning from our honeymoon, I was faced with a question that never had even crossed my mind: "What's for dinner?" Gulp! I had never cooked a meal in my life! I didn't even know how to heat up a can of vegetables! Is it possible to have toast and cereal for dinner every night? Little did I know, that question would be asked every day of my life... for the rest of my life. Back then, that was pretty scary. Time went on and I had a disaster here and a success there. The more time that passed, the less disasters I seemed to encounter. After countless hours spent researching recipes online, reading cookbooks and magazines and trial and error, I know my way very well around my humble little kitchen.

Why did I join this competition? That's an easy one. Simply and honestly put, I love to cook and I love to blog about it. I think about it all day, I dream about it all night and I wish I had more time to do it! Plus, there's $10,000.00 at stake. Who wouldn't want to do something they love and get paid for it!?

Now, to the challenge. What defines me as a food blogger? When it comes to cooking and blogging, there are a lot of things that I am not. I am not professionally trained, I am not the best photographer, my content is not the funniest or the smartest and I am not nearly as experienced as the other food bloggers in this challenge (I've seen your amazing blogs, people! You inspire me!). I do, however, have a strong passion for cooking, my food is good and I am fearless when it comes to trying new things. I entered Project Food Blog as a personal goal to really put myself out there and challenge myself.

Why should I be the next food blog star? I should be the next food blog star for the same reason anyone else in this competition should be. We all love to cook and share our experiences with everyone else, especially with those we love. Without the mouths to feed and the readers to read, the food "blogiverse" would be silent.

You can help! In the near future, I will have an icon on my blog for you to vote for me. There are judges for the competition as iterated below but there will be one readers' choice winner per round (except the final round). The readers' choice (blogger with the most votes from the public) will automatically advance to the next round.

The competition is judged by Dana Cowin, Editor-in-Chief of FOOD & WINE Magazine; Nancy Silverton, Founder La Brea Bakery, Co-owner Mozza; and Pim Techamuanvivit, Author of ChezPim.com and The Foodie Handbook.

12 comments:

  1. Great post!! I started out cooking the same way- haha! I Love your spacious kitchen- totally jealous! I wish you bucket loads of luck, because you whip some awesome stuff, girl!!! And I love your photography and writing-style. You are most certainly one of my favorite! I can see myself chatting it up with you while making some awesome dishes! G'luck again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Celeste. Lovely post and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sommer :) Your blog is one of my favorites as well. I love your writing style -- you inspire me :) I can totally see us having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best wishes for the competition. You have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celeste,

    You passion for life and cooking is refreshing. I think passion and drive are two of the most important qualities any cook can have. My guess is that you will take your cuisine to whatever level you want because of your passion.

    Love your kitchen, it is open and inviting.

    Good luck in this competition.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celeste, I can't wait to see your entries for the next legs of the competition. I wish you well. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I voted and good luck :)

    I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway
    http://atasteofkoko.blogspot.com/2010/08/mini-pistachio-tea-cakes-40.html

    Here is my entry for PFB http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/668

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is your Mother! I guess the reason I never showed you how to cook is bc I love cooking & baking so much myself!!! Ughhhhhhhh!! But NOW look at you Honey!!!! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post...nice story...lovely family! much luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all. I love all of the foodies I know in the foodie community :) You are all so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "What's for dinner?" That question goes through my head every night. I am glad to see that blogging and cooking have become such passions in your life. Best of luck in the competition. You've got my vote. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: