September 18, 2010

Turtle Cake Bars

My poor baby girl is sick, sick, sick! She was up at all hours of the night getting sick. I wanted to cheer her up, so I gave her my Taste of Home Fall Baking magazine to look through. I told her to pick out whatever she wanted and we would make it together. She picked out the Caramel-Cashew Cake Bars. I improvised a tad based on the ingredients that I had and I thought a little chocolate on top would make them even better. These turned out delicious! It was just the thing she needed to brighten her day.



Ingredients:
  • 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c salted walnuts, chopped
Walnut Topping:
  • 1/2 c salted walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 4 1/2 tsp heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  • in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Beat in the eggs just until combined. Fold in the walnuts. Spread into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly touched.
  • In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients, walnuts, brown sugar, butter and whipping cream. Spread mixture evenly over the cake. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments. Drizzle over all. Cut into bars and allow to cool completely.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: