October 21, 2010

Asian-Style Beef and Broccoli over Rice

I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to replicate the "brown sauce" they use in the Chinese restaurants. Anyone have a recipe or know someone who actually works in a Chinese restaurant? No matter how many recipes claim to have it perfected and no matter how much I experiment, it's just not right. What could be the difference!? Maybe the MSG? Possibly. I have noticed that a lot of people use oyster sauce in their recipes, so I thought I would give that a try. While this definitely is not the replica that I was trying to accomplish, it was so good! I will definitely be keeping this recipe as is for use in the future. My husband loved it and my daughter kept asking for more. She had seconds, which is normal for her. This time, however, she asked for thirds.


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb flank steak, thinnly sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices
  • 1 1/2 lb broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
Beef Marinade
  • 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning the steak
Stir Fry Sauce
  • 1/4 c oyster sauce
  • 2 tsp dry sherry
  • 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
Directions:

  • In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the beef marinade. Add the beef and marinate for 30 minutes.
  • In a small bowl, combine the the ingredients for the stir fry sauce and whisk.

  • In a large skillet, add 1 inch of water and bring it to a boil. Add the broccoli. Turn down the heat to low-medium, cover and steam for 4 minutes, or until the broccoli is cooked to desired doneness. Drain the broccoli and set aside.
  • Pat the same pan dry and heat 1 tbsp sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic. Stir and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 10 to 20 seconds.
  • Add the steak strips. Stir and fry until cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.

  • Stir in the stir fry sauce and combine. Turn down the heat to low-medium.
  • Add the broccoli and toss to coat.

  • Serve over rice.
  • Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Most chinese restaurants use a mix of spices also known as chinese five spice powder, or if like me you want to try these chinese spices a little at a time, you could just add one or two pieces of star anise when making your sauce.Just leave it there until the sauce thickens then remove it just before serving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alisa, for your suggestion :) Unfortunately, my husband is not a fan of the Chinese Five Spice because of the "licorice taste". You know, I have star anise that I used in an Indian dish and forgot that I had it! I'll try that next time :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: