October 2, 2010

Nightmare Cookies with a Happy Ending

Finally, we find ourselves with a lazy Saturday; nowhere to go and nothing to do. Today was the perfect day to make some cookies. I came across a recipe with chopped Snicker's bars and chocolate chips and it sounded delicious, so I thought I would give it a spin. If you are not able to tell from the title, the cookies did not turn out well. I am not about to post the recipe on my blog and, as much as I want to, I will not post the blog source of the recipe but I do want to document what happened and what I did to turn these cookies from a nightmare into a happy ending.

Here is the happy ending picture. We'll get to that in a minute. First, let's talk about the nightmare aspect.



My very old oven has no window to look through, so whenever I try a new recipe (especially with baking), I take a quick peak after about 5 minutes to make sure everything is progressing along smoothly. Here is what I saw.



Gasp! What a runny, soupy mess! I pulled it out of the oven and started pacing around. This has never happened before! What on earth was this blogger trying to do, kill people?! The batter nearly ran up and over the side of the baking sheet! Okay, okay. Calm down, Celeste. You can make this work.

First, I decided to pour everything in a glass 8 x 8 baking dish and stir in some flour and oats to thicken it up a bit. I popped it back in the oven for 5 minutes with the hope that it would start to set. Unfortunately, it did not. In fact, it was still a little runny. Now I was really getting frustrated. I stirred in what came to be about another 1/2 cup of flour. At this point, the mixture was pretty thick and I knew that there was no way it would not set up in the oven. I formed the dough into balls and dropped them on a baking sheet. At this point, I had to pull out a "back up" baking sheet (ugly old ones I keep on hand just in case).



I popped them in the oven for about 10 to 13 more minutes and let them cool for about 5 minutes.

The result? After a little time, a little patience (cough, cough) and a lot of dishes, I had moist, chewy, rich, chocolatey cookies! Success! They weren't much to look at after all of the trauma the poor things were put through, but boy were they yummy! I am so proud of myself that I didn't give up.

3 comments:

  1. Well done! You persevered when others would have given up and threw the lot, (probably across the room ;) They ended up turning out and they look pretty darn yummy and chocolaty. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you did check on it 5 minutes in and you found a perfect way to salvage these! The do look gorgeous to me! MMMM chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I think it's time to invest in a new oven with a window. Time to start hinting to the hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: