October 20, 2010

Rotini with Chicken and Vegetables in a White Wine Cream Sauce

It's getting to be that time of year. The hustling and bustling that goes along with the holidays. You know, the time when you do everything you can to just get a moment to sit down and catch your breath. The craziness happens to start earlier in the year for me.... now actually. Before November 1st, I have my husband's 30th birthday, Halloween, the town Halloween Parade, parent/teacher conferences, two field trips that I am chaperoning and being room mom for my daughter's fall party. Oh, and did I forget to mention working and teaching Sunday school and cleaning and cooking and spending time with the family? Don't even get me started on what I have going on so far in November. AHH! I have a scary feeling that keeping up with my precious blog is going to be harder than I think. You make time for the things you love, though, right? So, on this busy day, I came up with this dish because I had leftover chicken, peas and baby spinach to use up before the expiration fairy came knocking on their door. This was so good! My husband liked it, although he complained about the onions. You see, my husband is not an onion fan. I was a tad rushed today and diced them, so he could see them. I normally finely mince them and he has no idea they are in there. Sneaky little me!


Ingredients:

  • 2 c pasta, uncooked
  • 1/4 c onion, minced
  • 1/2 c white wine
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 c fresh baby spinach, chopped
  • 1/4 c frozen peas (I only added these because I had to use up some leftover peas)
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 tsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 c water
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 2 c cubed cooked chicken (I used leftover roasted chicken)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 c shredded cheddar jack cheese
  • 2 tbsp milk (optional)
Directions:

  • Cook the pasta according to package directions.
  • In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  • Add the onions and sweat until brown, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the wine, garlic, spinach, peas and basil. Bring it to a boil and reduce the liquid by half, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Combine the flour and water in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
    Slowly add the mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Turn heat up to medium.
  • Stir in the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until heated through.
  • Drain the pasta. Add the pasta and chicken to the cream sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in the cheddar jack cheese, until melted.
  • If the sauce is too thick for your liking, stir in the milk.
  • Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That looks good...I have to sometimes "hide" some ingredients so my husband will eat a dish too. If he can't see it, then he doesn't know it's there! Yep...things are about to get pretty hectic for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! It's fun being sneaky, though ;) I have to hide celery in a similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Celeste,

    New recipe to me but looks real yumm...love anything with chicken...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: