October 10, 2010

Steak and Mushroom Soup

We had grilled flank steak with mashed potatoes last week for dinner. My husband is not a big fan of eating leftover steak but I found a way to get him to do it and enjoy it! I decided to use the steak in a soup and it turned out wonderful! This may just be my new favorite soup and I would rate it a 10, which is appropriate on today's date of 10/10/10!



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb cooked steak (I used leftover flank steak)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c onion, chopped
  • 1 c mushrooms, coarsely chopped1
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 4 c beef broth
  • 2 tbsp sherry wine
  • 1/4 c mashed potatoes (optional; I used leftover)
  • 1/2 c shredded cheddar jack cheese
  • 1 c spinach
  • Salt, as needed
  • Freshly ground black pepper, as needed

Directions:

  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
  • Add the onions, mushrooms and jalapeno pepper; cook and stir until soft.
  • Add the garlic and basil, stir and cook for 1 minute.
  • Pour in the beef broth and sherry wine, bring to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat to low. Add the steak and mashed potatoes and cook until warmed through.
  • Stir in the cheese and spinach and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
  • Enjoy!

Featured in: