November 2, 2010

Chuck Eye Steak with Onion & Green Pepper in Red Wine Sauce (Crock Pot)


My daughter has piano lessons every Tuesday at 5:00, which leaves very little time for dinner preparation, so I normally make a quick-and-easy dinner or a crock pot meal. I decided on a hearty steak and mashed potato dinner tonight because it is freezing out and this is a comforting and warm meal to me. Braising the steak with the use of a crock pot is so convenient for days like these, when I am running around trying to get things done but still have a yummy dinner on the table at the same time. Braising definitely yields the best results. There is no need for steak sauce and no need for a knife for this tender, juicy meal! While we were chowing down, my daughter asked me if we could "eat this meal every night for the rest of our lives".

The chuck eye steak is a great cut of meat. When cooked properly, it can taste just as good as rib-eye steak and is definitely a great cost alternative at only $4.00 to $4.50/lb.



Ingredients:
  • 1 to 1 1/2 lb chuck eye steak
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Salt, to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 c red wine
  • 1/2 c beef stock
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 green pepper, sliced
Directions:
  • Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, stirring until it becomes fragrant.
  • Season the steak with salt and pepper. Add it to the pan and brown on both sides. Remove the steak from the pan and place it into the crock pot.
  • Add the wine and broth into the skillet, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom. Bring it to a boil and remove from the heat.
  • Pour the wine/broth mixture over the steak in the crock pot.
  • Spread the onion and green pepper over the steak.
  • Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.
  • Remove the steak, onion and green pepper to a serving plate and cover with a tin foil tent to keep warm.
  • Pour the remaining juices from the crock pot into a large skillet. Heat to boiling and reduce by half.
  • Pour over the steak and vegetables.
  • Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and everybody loved it!
    I added a little (1tsp) soy sauce when I heat up the sauce at the end, and it turned out great.
    Thanks for the recipe!
    I'm going to have my 2nd kid in 2 weeks, and I think i'll be checking your crock pot recipes more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KittyKai, I am so happy that everyone enjoyed it! My husband especially loves this meal. Great idea to add soy sauce... I'm going to try that next time :) Congratulations with your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and my husband and I gobbled it up! Delish! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: