November 11, 2010

Moons Over My Hammy


Last night, I had a dream about my dear Grandmommy. Grandmommy has a very large and special place in my heart; she was like a second mother to me. I wish all of my readers could have had the privilege of knowing her. She was an enchanting, beautiful, funny and loving woman, who loved children and would do anything to see me smile. My daughter's middle name is named after her: Shirley. She battled Alzheimer's disease for the last ten years of her life. In July of this year, God took away her Alzheimer's and she is now living in heaven. In my dream, my Grandmommy and Granddaddy took me out to eat at Denny's, as they had many, many times in the past. My Grandmommy ordered her usual Moons Over My Hammy and happily ate it while I talked to her about whatever came to my mind. A very simple dream about a very pleasant memory. Unfortunately, never once did I taste her sandwich when she offered. In fact, I used to think it was gross because of the Swiss cheese and the name in general. All morning I have been thinking about this dream and I had no choice but to make it today. What a beautiful brunch this was. My grandparents seem to have a way of inspiring me to cook, like my granddaddy in this post. This sandwich is absolutely delicious. I feel a little guilty for making this and eating it without my husband here -- he would really enjoy it! 





Grandmommy holding Madelyn nearly 6 years ago.


Ingredients:

  • 2 slices sourdough bread
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 slices Kraft Singles American cheese
  • 3 eggs, scrambled
  • 1/4 lb chipped cooked ham (I used Hatfield)
  • 2 slices Swiss cheese
Directions:

  • Butter one side of each slice of bread.
  • In a large skillet over medium heat, place one of the slices of bread, butter side down.
  • Place both slices of American cheese on the bread. Next, add the scrambled eggs and cooked ham and top with Swiss cheese. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up.
  • Cook for a few minutes, until the bread is nicely browned.
  • Carefully, flip over the sandwich and brown the bread on the other side.
  • Enjoy!


Madelyn Rating
:
"Meh."
My little food critic has no idea what she's talking about lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: