November 9, 2010

Peanut Butter-Pumpkin Soup

I have come across a rather large amount of recipes recently using the combination of pumpkin, peanut butter and pureed butternut squash or sweet potatoes in soup and I am crazy about the idea, especially considering how healthy it is. All caught up with work for the day with my daughter playing with the neighbor kids = the perfect time to play with ingredients! I have been feeling a little under the weather recently and this soup was so comforting. It is healthy, rich and creamy and perfect for this chilly autumn day.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1/3 c onion, finely minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 c chicken (or vegetable) broth
  • 1 c canned 100% pumpkin
  • 1 c creamy peanut butter
  • 1/3 c milk (or cream), or as needed
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp white sugar, or as needed
  • Chopped peanuts and/or roasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
Directions:
  • In a medium sauce pan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
  • Add the onions and cook until softened. Add the garlic, stirring until fragrant.
  • Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
  • Whisk in the pumpkin and peanut butter until well-blended.
  • Stir in the cream or milk, to desired thickness.
  • Season with cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the sugar, to desired sweetness (I used 1 1/2 tsp all said and done).
  • Garnish with chopped peanuts and/or roasted pumpkin seeds.
  • Enjoy!
Madelyn Rating
Haha! When I told her what was in it, she had no interest in trying it!

2 comments:

  1. Again I don't agree with your professional food rater (they are sooo overrated). I was so excited about this recipe that I have printed it already. I can't wait to try it. I love the garnish too. I love a little crunch with a smooth soup. I am loving a lot of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jacqueline :) You're too sweet. I hope you enjoy it. It is very rich. I made it again yesterday but put a good amount of skim milk in to thin it out more and I liked it even better that way!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: