December 14, 2010

Homemade Eggnog


I have been wanting to make my own eggnog for over a month now but patiently restrained myself from doing so until the holidays. One of my favorite food bloggers, Annie Bakes (check her out), tempted me with a recipe for eggnog that she found in the Oprah magazine and loved. Since I trust her judgment so much, I decided to give it a whirl. She was right -- this is super good eggnog! I cannot believe how simple and tasty it is at the same time! Never again will I buy eggnog from the store. Never. If you are an eggnog fan, you have to try this!

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 1 1/2 c milk (I used fat free)
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 c heavy cream, softly whipped
  • Liquor (brandy, bourbon, rum, whiskey, etc.)
Directions:
  • In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until thickened and heated to 140 degrees F on a candy thermometer; about 5 minutes.
  • Strain the mixture into a bowl. Stir in the nutmeg and vanilla.
  • Cover and refrigerate, until chilled.
  • When ready to serve, fold in the whipped cream. Serve in a bowl, sprinkle nutmeg over all and serve with alcohol on the side.
  • Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! I've been dying to make my own eggnog!!! Will have to try this recipe for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it, and thanks for the shout out!! Wasn't it easy?

    anne
    www.anniebakes.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, yes! SO easy! I'm so happy you posted the recipe on your blog. It will become a tradition for sure :)

    Sommer, I hope you do try it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: