I love the smell of gingerbread cookies baking in the oven almost as much as I enjoy eating them! But I can't bear (no pun intended) to eat this little man... he's too cute!
- 3 c flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c butter, softened
- 3/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c molasses
- 1 egg
- Whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add the molasses and egg, beat well.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture on low speed, until well mixed.
- Form the dough into a thick flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are set and just begin to brown. Cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- Decorate cooled cookies as desired. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.