December 27, 2010

Ham Spinach Frittata


For Christmas, my sweet Granddaddy gave me the signed cookbook, "The Spice Kitchen" by Sara Engram and Katie Luber with Kimberly Toqe. The cookbook came with 24 cases of different organic, 1 teaspoon pre-measured spice packets. It was an extremely thoughtful gift and I have been so anxious to try a recipe from the book along with the spices! I came across a pepperoni spinach frittata recipe that I wanted to try. There were a few ingredients that I didn't have on hand and I was not about to run to the store in all this snow (9 inches), so I adjusted a few things. This came out delicious! The anise seed really gave it a wonderful flavor. It is a great base frittata recipe.



Ingredients:
Serves 4

  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp anise seed
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • Salt, to taste
  • 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 c frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1/4 c chopped cooked ham
  • 1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 c diced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced


Directions:

  • Preheat the broiler. Beat together the eggs, basil, anise seed, black pepper and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the cheddar, Parmesan, spinach and ham.
  • Heat the oil in an ovenproof, nonstick medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
  • Pour the egg mixture into the sklilet and stir to combine. Decrease the heat to low and cook the frittata until the egg mixture has set on the bottom and begins to set on top, about 5 minutes.
  • Transfer the skillet to the broiler and continue cooking until the frittata is set, 3 to 4 minutes. Loosen the edges of the frittata with a spatula, slide the frittata onto a plate and serve immediately.
  • Enjoy!


A special thank you to my Granddaddy for the signed cookbook and organic spices! I love it... and I love you!


1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous grandpa you have!!! The frittata looks great with amazing flavors.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: