December 28, 2010

Homemade Hot Cocoa


When I was a little girl, my mom would always have a hot cup of cocoa with marshmallows waiting for me when I came in from a long play in the snow. Cheeks bright red and cold, hair wet and icy, toes nearly numb but a sip of hot cocoa always seemed to take all of the chill away. Those are some of the little things about being a kid that I will never forget. Ever since my daughter has been old enough to play in the snow, we have always shared a hot cup of cocoa after and I love every minute of it.

Ingredients:

  • 2 c milk (I use skim and sometimes will substitute in 1/4 c of cream for the milk)
  • 2 1/2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 1/2 oz milk chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Optional: 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Optional: 1 oz liquor
Directions:

  • Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat.
  • Whisk together occasionally until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
  • Add your favorite toppings (whipped cream, marshmallows, etc.)
  • Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe. I love making hot cocoa from scratch, the packaged stuff is flavorless in my own opinion. Though we've only bought the cheap stuff before!!! The ingredients you used looks like it has loads of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade Hot Cocoa is the very BEST! Anxious to try your recipe. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sommer, it is very creamy and chocolaty for sure... just how I like it! Thank you, Kim :) I wish you a Happy New Year as well!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: