December 28, 2010

Homemade Hot Cocoa


When I was a little girl, my mom would always have a hot cup of cocoa with marshmallows waiting for me when I came in from a long play in the snow. Cheeks bright red and cold, hair wet and icy, toes nearly numb but a sip of hot cocoa always seemed to take all of the chill away. Those are some of the little things about being a kid that I will never forget. Ever since my daughter has been old enough to play in the snow, we have always shared a hot cup of cocoa after and I love every minute of it.

Ingredients:

  • 2 c milk (I use skim and sometimes will substitute in 1/4 c of cream for the milk)
  • 2 1/2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 1/2 oz milk chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Optional: 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • Optional: 1 oz liquor
Directions:

  • Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat.
  • Whisk together occasionally until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
  • Add your favorite toppings (whipped cream, marshmallows, etc.)
  • Enjoy!

Featured in: