December 4, 2010

New England Clam Chowder


My husband has a cold and I thought that a hot bowl of soup would help to make him feel better. This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. If you like New England Clam Chowder, you will love this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cans minced clams
  • 1 c diced celery
  • 3 c potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 c diced carrots
  • 2 c water, or as needed to cover vegetables
  • 3/4 c butter
  • 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 qt half-and-half
  • 1/4 tsp onion salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
  • Drain the juice from the clams in a large skillet over the celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover the vegetables.
  • Cook over medium-high heat, until vegetables are tender.
  • Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly; until smooth.
  • Pour in the vegetable mixture along with the juices. Stir in the half-and-half, until smooth and thick; warm through. Season with onion salt and garlic powder. Do not allow it to boil.
  • When ready to serve, stir in the clams to heat through. Add the salt and pepper.
  • Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a late-in-life convert to clams...never knew I liked clam chowder until we went to San Francisco in 2009. Now I love it and have made it at home...your recipe looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Wendy! Do you use bacon in yours? I have been trying to convince my husband to try it with bacon but he doesn't think he'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: