January 12, 2011

Italian Sausage, Pepper & Onion Pasta


Yesterday was just one of those days. I was swamped with work and in the middle of it all, I received a phone call that my Granddaddy went to the ER with chest pains. I waited for my daughter to get home from school, dropped her off at my mom's house and visited for a few hours before it started to snow. While heart attack was ruled out, he is still in the hospital being tested for other things that have been found, so prayer for his health would be much appreciated.

We had to have gotten at least 6 to 8 inches of snow, which started falling last night. I can't imagine something feeling worse to a child than seeing a winter wonderland through a window but not being able to go out in it to make snow angels because of being sick. Yes, that's right -- my sweet petunia is sick again. My thinking is that this is her first year of school and her body is being introduced to all kinds of new, foreign germs that her body has to learn to build up a resistance to. Thankfully, it's not that nasty stomach bug, but a fever and a cough. It ended up being a long, sleep-disturbed night that even two large cups of coffee and a glass of iced green tea couldn't wake this morning. I'm glad that I had this meal planned for tonight. I definitely needed something easy to make, hearty and comforting. This is a perfect meal for a busy weeknight.

Ingredients:
Printable Recipe

  • 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 c onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/4 c red wine
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 to 2 c fresh baby spinach, chopped
  • Salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Parmesan cheese, for topping
  • 8 oz cooked pasta



Directions:

  • In a large skillet, add the sausage and enough water to reach halfway up the sausage and bring it to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the sausage to simmer for 20 minutes. Drain the sausage and return it to the skillet. Turn the heat up to high and brown the sausage on all sides. Set the sausage aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-sized pieces.
  • Using the same skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the green pepper and onion, cooking and stirring until tender; about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer.
  • Add parsley, wine and tomatoes to the skillet and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce the heat to low and add the spinach and cut sausage, cooking and stirring until the spinach is wilted down and the sausage is heated through.


  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Stir in the cooked pasta and top with Parmesan cheese.
  • Enjoy!
Madelyn Rating:

None due to sickness.
Thankfully, John decided to fill in on her behalf.

John Rating:
"Good!"



2 comments:

  1. Awww your grandfather will be in my thoughts! Hope beautiful Madelyn feels better soon, too.

    This dinner looks so comforting, and my children would love this!! I was eating while reading this and I newarly spat my food out looking at your husband's reaction! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sommer, thank you :) I was laughing so hard that I had a hard time holding the camera still lol :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: