August 2, 2012

Spaghetti alla Bolognese


I wanted to highlight one of my family's top 10 favorite recipes today, spaghetti alla bolognese. Bolognese is a ragu (meat-based sauce) that is hearty and packs in a whole lot of flavor.  The key to making amazing bolognese is allowing plenty of time for it to simmer and reduce down.  Even though there may be a lot of ingredients, don't let that intimidate you because this sauce is incredibly easy to make and only uses one pot.  This dish is absolutely delicious and even tastes better the next day!  My husband actually enjoys this more than my spaghetti and meatballs, which is a pretty big deal if you know my husband.  Because this recipe yields about 8 servings, I use half for dinner and freeze the rest for another time.

Similar Recipes:  Quick Bolognese Sauce.  Ready in under 30 minutes!  



Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 large carrot, shredded
  • 1/3 c onion, diced
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb lean ground beef (I 1/3 lb each of lean beef, pork and veal)
  • 2 oz Pancetta, minced 
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 c tomato, diced (or 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes) 
  • 3 oz tomato paste
  • 1/2 c dry red wine 
  • 1/2 c milk
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
  • 1 lb pasta, cooked
Directions:

In a large sauce pan, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted and the foam subsides, add the carrots and onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.


Add the beef and Pancetta, stirring and cooking until brown.  


Stir in the parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes.



Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, red wine and milk and stir well to combine.  


Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The sauce is ready when it has reduced down to a thick sauce that is not runny.  

Season the bolognese with salt and pepper, to taste.  Spoon the sauce over cooked pasta.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over all and garnish with parsley.  

Serve with crusty bread and a glass of wine.

Enjoy!






----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post from 12/30/2010
"Don't ever forget where you came from; otherwise, you'll never remember where you're going."


Guess what?! My new oven, which was a Christmas gift from my amazing husband, has finally been delivered to my house! It was a nightmare trying to get it here. On the first day of intended delivery, the truck slid on some snow and went straight into a ditch. On the second day of intended delivery, the oven arrived dented and scratched, so I sadly had to send it back. On the third day of intended delivery, I received it in one piece. I had to wait almost an entire entire week after Christmas to get it but at least its mine!

And here is a picture of my new oven! YAY!



5 comments:

  1. Well, hello, hubby of mine. It's nice to see you stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooove the oven!!! SO sorry about all the drama it took to get there! I would be bald from being so impatient!

    And your grandmother is super cute!! I love bolognese! My eldest on the other hand doesn't, so I make only occasionally. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sommer! I'm in love with it and have been using it so much recently that it could very well be considered the primary heating source in my house :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: