March 12, 2011

Chicken Curry with Cashews



During the time that I competed in Project Food Blog (short as it may have been), for round #2, I created an Indian dish, Dal Makhani.  I instantly fell in love with the intense flavors of the dish and it made me hungry to learn more about Indian cooking.  I have always wanted to make chicken curry and today I finally tackled it with the help of Epicurious.  If you enjoy Indian food, you will love this dish as I do.  Serve it with rice and give your taste buds a ride.

A few months ago, I introduced my husband to chicken curry in a nearby Indian restaurant and he wasn't so sure whether he liked it or not but he told me to try to replicate it at home.  Tonight, he told me that this recipe is spot on compared to the recipe in the restaurant.  SCORE!  However, he's not very sure whether or not he likes Indian food in general yet.  I'll get him to come around!

Ingredients:
Printable Recipe
Serves 3

  •  2 tbsp butter 
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped 
  • 1 large clove of garlic, minced 
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped 
  • 1 1/2 tbsp curry powder 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin 
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (I used just a pinch for the sake of my little one)
  • 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thigh), cut into 5 serving pieces 
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomato, undrained 
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 
  • 1/3 c cashews
  • 1/3 c sour cream 
  • 1/8 tsp sugar, or to taste 
Directions:

Heat the butter in a 2 to 2 1/2 qt.sized sauce pan over medium-low heat.  When the foam subsides, add the onion, garlic and ginger, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. 

Add the curry, salt, cumin and cayenne.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Add the chicken, stirring to coat for 3 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and cilantro and bring the mixture to a simmer.

Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.

Before serving, pulse the cashews in a food processor until they are finely ground.  Stir in the ground cashews along with the sour cream to the curry.  Simmer uncovered until thickened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the sugar, to taste.  

Serve with rice.

Enjoy!

 Madelyn Rating:
"Meh."

Husband Rating:
"It tastes just like the restaurant but not sure if I'm an Indian food kinda guy."


6 comments:

  1. We're kind of late jumping on the curry bandwagon too. My brother LOVES Indian food and asked me to make chicken curry when he visited last fall. My first curry was chicken with cashews. I've made it twice now and really like the flavor of curry spices!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough of curry! I'm really hoping my husband comes around soon with the Indian food because I would make it once a week for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! Love it with the cashews! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful even if your audience was less than receptive. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't please everyone all the time I guess lol :) Have a nice day, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love curries!!! Looks great! Love your husband's reaction :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: