March 17, 2011

Homemade Irish Potato Candy


The actual name of this confection is two-thirds a lie.  Irish Potato Candy is neither Irish nor does it contain potato.  However, it is a traditional Philadelphia candy that is very popular around Saint Patrick's Day.  It consists of butter, cream cheese, vanilla and coconut.  This mixture is then rolled in cinnamon, which makes it look just like a miniature potato. 

Ingredients:
Yields 5 dozen
Adapted from Allrecipes

  • 1/4 c salted butter, softened 
  • 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 4 c confectioners' sugar
  • 2 1/2 c flaked coconut 
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp sugar 

Directions:
 
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese, until smooth.  Beat in the vanilla and then the confectioners' sugar a little at a time.  Cover and chill the dough for 30 minutes.

Stir in the coconut.  Roll the dough into small potato shapes.

In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.  Roll the potato candies in the cinnamon-sugar to evenly coat.

Lie the candies on parchment paper and allow to chill for 1 hour, until set.

Enjoy!




11 comments:

  1. Your photos are looking outstanding, Celeste!!!

    My children would eat these in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute...I thought it had mashed potatoes as an ingredient after reading the name! I've never heard of these, but love learning about regional goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, I'm going to pass this recipe along to my mother who lives in Idaho, the potato state!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sommer, thank you so much for the encouraging words :)

    Wendy, the very first time I had one of these I assumed they were made with potatoes, too, and I was shocked at how sweet they were.

    Christina, Thank you! Hopefully she tries them out and likes them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that this was a salty creation. Very interesting it is sugary. I will give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of that kind of candy but that looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. Creative recipe and great execution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful photos. I've actually never had this candy and really must try it soon. It looks delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my favorite candies!!! A candy store that is nearby has them every March and I always wait to see the sign that says that have them. I'm going to have to try and make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!
    These look interesting. I would like to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look very interesting! another one to add to my baking goals!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: