March 14, 2011

Rosemary Corned Beef and Carrot Pasta



First of all, I wanted to say that my heart is so heavy because of what is going on in Japan.  We sit comfortably in our warm homes having dinner with our families and those we love when there are people out there tonight who are deprived of so many things and hurting in so many unimaginable ways.  My prayers go out to the people of Japan and all those affected by this tragedy.  

When I was growing up, I never once had corned beef.  It was just something that my mother never made.  My husband is mostly Irish, so I was very excited to cook it for the first time for him last year.  It turned out to be delicious and I knew that I would be making every year around Saint Patrick's Day.  Afterward, there were just enough leftovers to make Reuben sandwiches Well, it's Saint Patrick's Day in a few days, so I slow cooked the corned beef and cabbage.  YUM!  Once again, I found myself with leftovers.  This time, I wanted to use the corned beef in a warm pasta dish, so I sauteed it with some vegetables and rosemary and tossed it in with pasta.  This is fast, tasty and a perfect way to use up the last bit of that corned beef. You can saute any vegetables you like in this, so use up whatever you have in the fridge.

What are some of the dishes or drinks you will be making for Saint Patrick's Day?    


Ingredients:
Printable Recipe
  • Leftover corned beef, cubed (I had about 1/2 lb leftover)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
  • 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, removed from stem
  • 1/4 c shredded cheese (I used a combo of Asiago, Parmesan and Romano)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • (Optional) 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 8 oz pasta

Directions


Cook the pasta in salted boiling water, until al dente.  

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the shallots and carrots and saute until crisp tender.  Add the corned beef and rosemary, cooking until the corned beef is heated through.  Stir in the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.  

When the pasta is finished cooking, drain and stir it into the corned beef mixture.  Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. 

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Celeste, this is most unusual yet it sounds delicious. Your camera work is wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary. I take that as a high compliment coming from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delicious. Never seen another recipe using corned beef quite like this.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: