March 29, 2011

Tuna Salad Sandwich



There was a two-year span in my life (when I was still living at home) that my mom and I worked at the same company.  Other than my amazing husband and beautiful sister, my mom is my best friend and we were able to have lunch together every day.  I look back on those days so fondly.  I happen to be a creature of habit and every day for the entire two years that we worked together, my mom packed me the same tuna sandwich.  She would mix the tuna with Miracle Whip (which I have since converted to mayonnaise, courtesy of my husband), slice cucumber and layer it over the tuna and add some celery salt.  When I got a little older, she introduced me to adding sliced green olives, which I adored.  Bunny trail:  I am an olive freak.  My Grandmommy and Granddaddy would take me to Sizzler and I would literally get nothing but plates full of green and black olives.  No, seriously.  I would literally get nothing but green and black olives!  I have been seeing a lot of my favorite blogs recently posting tuna salad recipes (check this amazing one from The Weekend Gourmet out here) that have had me craving it, so I decided to turn my mother's sandwich into a tuna salad sandwich.  Speaking of best friends, my sister gave me a beautiful french baguette a few days ago (for no reason other than just because) that made this sandwich possible.  YUM!  

Ingredients:
Printable Recipes
  • 12 oz canned tuna in water 
  • 2 tbsp vidalia onion, minced
  • 1/4 c green olives, sliced 
  • 1/4 c mayonnaise 
  • 1/2 c cucumber, chopped 
  • Pinch of celery salt
  • French baguette, sliced
  • Olive oil, for brushing 
  • Pepper, to taste 
  • Salt, to taste
  • Lettuce (I was fresh out)
Directions:

Thoroughly drain the tuna.  In a medium-sized bowl, combine the tuna, onion, olives, mayonnaise, lemon juice, cucumber, pepper and celery salt.

Brush olive oil on both sides of the sliced baguette, season with salt and pepper and toast.

Assemble the sandwich with toasted baguette, tuna and lettuce.

Enjoy!



8 comments:

  1. Your tuna salad looks great...I can never have enough tuna salad variations in my rotation. With Lent? Need lots of options ;). Thanks for the linkback to my tuna salad recipe as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love green olives too. I haven't tried putting them in tuna. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuna sandwich is very healthy snack because it is composed of fish and vegetables.I like Tuna fish because omega3 that can melt cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely do not make my tuna like this, but I just might have to give this way a try!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven´t had a tuna sandwich for ages. Thanks for reminding me how delicious this is :-)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful sandwich. I know I'd love to have one that looks exactly like this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful family! I am the only olive lover in this house:( i, too, converted from miracle whip to mayo after getting married!! I love me some tuna fish- my fave comfort food!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: