May 26, 2011

Amish Macaroni Salad



One of my favorite things about this time of the year is picnicing with family and friends.  There is always fear of not having enough food, yet everyone leaves with leftovers.  My absolute favorite picnic food is my mother-in-law's potato salad.  It is to DIE for!  My second favorite picnic food is corn on the cob smothered with butter and salt; nothing fancy.  What is your favorite picnic food?  Do you have a side or dessert that you are known for at gatherings? 

Another picnic food that I enjoy is macaroni salad.  This is our favorite recipe for macaroni salad.  The only thing that would make this better would be the addition of onion and celery, which I omit because my husband is not a fan of either. 


Ingredients:
Printable Recipe
  • 8 oz elbow macaroni 
  • 1/2 c carrot, diced 
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped 
  • 1 c mayonnaise 
  • 2 tbsp sugar 
  • 1 tsp vinegar 
  • 1/2 tsp mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 1/8 tsp pepper, or to taste 
Directions:

Cook the elbow macaroni according to package instructions.  Drain and set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, make the dressing.  In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and mustard.

Stir the carrot and egg into the dressing.

Add the cooled macaroni to the dressing and stir to combine.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Enjoy!





6 comments:

  1. I have a MIL who makes amazing potato salad too...and mine is never quite as good as hers either for some reason! Love macaroni salad too...this one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed perfect for picnics! Great for pot luck session too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing that one could not possibly go wrong with macaroni and cheese, and this salad definitely beat that saying huh? Over here, sometimes macaronis are cooked in soup or stew as comfort food when one is sick sometimes but it is just one of most versatile food, don't you think?:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell at a glance this will be ooey gooey delicious. Amish recipes for things like potato salad are always wonderful. You've posted the recipe at a great time. Many of us will be serving salads for the holiday weekend. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to give this version a try! Looks absolutely divine!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: