May 22, 2011

Homemade Ferrero Rocher Candy



I had an entire day off with no obligation.  My daughter was playing outside with the neighbors for hours, I had no work, I had no cleaning to do and I had no errands to run, so my wheels immediately started turning and I fixed myself in the kitchen.  I found myself craving something sweet, specifically Ferrero Rocher.  My parents didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up and my Grandmommy used to stuff our Christmas stockings with Rocher packs every year.  It was the only time we had them and they were always a very special treat for us.  I always think about her when I bite into one.  I came up with the idea to use part of an ice cream cone, chopped nuts, Nutella and melted chocolate.  After I bit into one, I giggled with delight.  The taste is spot on and they are so simple to make!  You must try this!  Seriously, you cannot go wrong with Nutella.  I am going to start looking for some good homemade waffle cone recipes so I don't have to rely on ice cream cones and can shape them into perfectly-round balls myself.  Know of any good recipes for that?

Speaking of my Grandmommy, I have started an Alzheimer's Association team for the Philadelphia walk in September called Team Shirley.  This terrible disease took her memory away for 10 years before it took her life.  My husband and I will be walking the 5 miles and are trying to raise money to benefit the foundation.  If you are interested in donating to this cause, please click here.  Thank you.



Ingredients:
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

  • 12 Ice cream cones 
  • Nutella 
  • 1/4 c hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 1/3 c hazelnuts, finely chopped 
  • 8 oz chocolate (I used white chocolate)
Direction:

Cut off about 1 inch of the base of each ice cream cone.  Spread a layer of Nutella on the top.  Press about 1 tsp of the coarsley chopped nuts in the slots on the inside of the ice cream cone.


Spread a thin layer of Nutella over the entire cone.


Set them on parchment paper and place them in the freezer.

Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between.  Stir in the finely chopped nuts.

Remove the cones from the freezer.  Carefully and quickly roll each piece around with a spoon in the melted chocolate mixture.  Place them back on the parchment paper and put them in the freezer until the chocolate sets.

Enjoy!





This post is linked to: Sweet as Sugar Cookies

11 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I never would have thought of doing something like this. Kudos. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazingly clever!! I'm adding this to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius! I love love love this idea, Celeste!! How delish do these look? I could gobble down two or three with no problem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks FANTASTIC!!! somehow I have a feeling I'm going to regret finding this recipe! lol Thanks for sharing. Very creative! Loved the extra details about your feelings for Ferrer Rocher. They are my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm. You are like my hero now. Homemade brioche candy! really? how amazing! it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! Wow, they must be really addictive! What a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So inventive! I never would have thought but, I'm glad that you did...now I can try :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...I LOVE ferrero rochers! This is so inventive. Great, now I'm craving some :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Wendy, this is genius! I'm going to try these soon. Thanks for sharing! BTW: Visiting from the linky party at Something Swanky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you are so COOL to come up with this. I love your recipe. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: