July 29, 2011

Blueberry Muffins with Brown Sugar Topping



I was just recently put on the schedule for my church's baking team, which means that I bake 4 dozen of something and drop it off before the service.  Originally, I had planned on baking cookies for this past Sunday until I came across blueberries on sale for $0.99/pint.  This was the first time I had to transport this many muffins at one time and I realized quickly that I didn't have enough containers for the job.  Not wanting to spend a lot of money, I called my local grocery store's bakery and it turns out that they sell 12-count cupcake containers for $2.39 a piece!  Jackpot!

I love these blueberry muffins.  They are moist and sweet and the brown sugar topping is to die for!



Ingredients:
Yields 24 muffins
  • 3 c all-purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 c white sugar 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 2/3 c vegetable oil 
  • 2/3 c milk 
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 c fresh blueberries 
Brown Sugar Topping:
  • 1/3 c brown sugar 
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour 
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon 
  • 1 tbsp butter, room temperature



Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  

In a large bowl, combine the flour, white sugar, salt and baking powder.  

Whisk the vegetable oil, milk and egg into the flour mixture just until combined, being careful to not over mix.  

Carefully fold in the blueberries.  Fill a prepared muffin pan with the batter 2/3 full for 24 regular size muffins.  For slightly larger muffins, fill 16 almost to the top.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, 2 tbsp of flour, cinnamon and butter with a fork to form the crumb topping.  Evenly sprinkle the crumb mixture over each muffin.  

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (18 exactly in my oven), or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.  

Serve and enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. These sure came out pretty...love the brown sugar topping! Need to make these next time blueberries go on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love muffins with toppings! I just made some cherry almond ones. Brown sugar and blueberry does sound great....perhaps those will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muffins looks so good! I really need to get some frozen blueberries soon! Do not know why TESCO does not carry any frozen berries in their store!! Need to go to another cold storage grocery which is quite a distance away!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll soon be surprising my folks with those lovely muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents are coming to visit me this weekend and my mum is bringing me a ton of fresh blueberries. Looks like I know what I will be doing with them now!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blueberries delicious muffins, looks perfect, I like your recipes, I'll follow with pleasure hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, I love blueberry muffins for breakfast and that brown sugar topping sounds like a must. Thanks for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: