July 13, 2012

Homemade Fish Sticks




My family loves these crispy fish sticks.  They are very easy to make and are ready within 15 minutes!  I have included instructions below on how to bake them in the oven or fry them in a pan.  Either way, they are super delicious and much better for you than the processed stuff from a box!  I served these with a side of steamed broccoli hand picked yesterday from the garden.


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb cod
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil, or as needed for frying
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3/4 c Italian breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese 
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder

Directions:

If you are baking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare the fish.  In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumb, Parmesan, pepper, salt, and garlic powder.  Cut the fish into sticks that are approximately 4 inches long and 3/4 inches thick.  Dip the fish sticks into the egg, allowing the excess to drip off.  Coat the fish evenly in the bread crumb mixture.

Baking Method:  Bake the fish sticks in the preheated oven on a lightly-greased baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes, carefully turning over once halfway through cooking.

Frying Method:  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the fish sticks to the hot skillet.  Cook the fish on all sides until golden brown in color and cooked through, being very gentle while turning.  Drain on paper towels.

Enjoy! 




8 comments:

  1. Your fish sticks are perfect...not preserved or minced and they're deliciously golden brown! I wish that I had some right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SO MUCH better than those frozen fish sticks we all grew up eating! And how nice that you have a built-in sous chef in the making...my cat isn't much help in the kitchen ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great! I love frying my own version of fish sticks and chicken tenders for my son. So much better for you and I love your coating. I need to try it next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that you could make your own fish sticks! I have so much cod in the freezer looks like I know what I am making for dinner this week!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a must try! I've never made fish sticks and I'm sure they're so much better than the frozen ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good, and addictive too! I don't think I'll be able to stop at just a few!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to give these a try. They look delicious and you've given us an easy recipe to follow. Your assistant looks hesitant but happy :-).I hope you all have a great day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah. I haven't had fish sticks in YEARS! I really want some now--they were always so good with ketchup, LOL. gonna have to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: