July 21, 2011

Italian Chicken & Zucchini Pasta in Red Wine-Tomato Sauce



I am finally back from my two-week break and, as much fun as I had with family and friends, I must say that I was going through some withdrawal from food blogging.  Who would have thought that something I started on a whim one and a half years ago would be something that I can't live without?! 

While I was taking a break from blogging, I certainly did not take a break from cooking and baking.  Two weekends ago, we were preparing for a camping trip (so much fun!) and I was so busy with work, packing and planning that I needed something quick and easy for dinner.  I don't know about you, but I always have red wine and at least one can of diced tomatoes in my pantry, so this meal just made sense to throw together.  It takes less than 30 minutes, is easy and full of flavor and my husband and daughter devoured itCan't ask for much more than that on a busy night!


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut bite-size 
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 2 carrots, julienne cut 
  • 1/4 c onion, minced 
  • 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1/4 c dry red wine 
  • 1/2 c chicken broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juices 
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried rosemary 
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme 
  • 1/4 c shredded Monterey jack cheese
  • 1/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping 
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • 8 oz cooked pasta 

 

Directions:

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the carrots and onions.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the zucchini.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the chicken.  Season with salt and pepper and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Pour in the red wine, chicken broth and diced tomatoes.  Stir in the basil, rosemary and thyme.  Bring the mixture to a boil and turn down the heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Stir in the cooked pasta.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Serve and enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. I've really missed blogging, too :( glad your back!! What a great summery recipe!!! I have most ingredients on hand!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back! love this recipe and cant wait to see what elese you whip up this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, and glad to hear that you've enjoyed your break. Your pasta dish looks delicious! I love it when something yummy came out with just the ingredients we have on hand, it makes me happy!
    Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah! So glad you are back. We have missed you my friend. This chicken and pasta dish looks amazing. Out of this world delicious. What a great way to come back with such a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks absolutely yummy! I know what you mean...I'm away and having the hardest time to being able to blog as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pasta dish, we make something very similar too! I have to try this one,,thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're back, Celeste! It's hard to go two weeks without blogging...the week I was on vacation earlier this month was so hard! This looks so good...and exactly the way I love to cook after a busy day in the office...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I was going to make this recipe but I noticed one ingredient is missing, right under "1 can diced tomatoes with juices" it says "1 tsp dried", but it doesn't what, could you tell what goes there please, I really want to try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous, thank you for pointing this out to me! It should say 1 tsp dried basil. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this last week with turkey sausage instead of chicken.....SO good! I love your recipes, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: