August 22, 2011

Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy



I am very happy and proud to say that I got my husband hooked on Guy Fieri's show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.  One night while we were watching it, Guy stopped in at a restaurant and had chicken fried steak.  It looked so appealing to my husband that he asked for it for dinner that week.  I came across a recipe from a chef that I love and trust, so I thought I would give it a try.  Let me say, Alton Brown sure knew what he was doing with this recipe!  It was amazing!  And the gravy?  Oh, the gravy!  Perfection!  WE enjoyed this so much that we had it twice in one week!



Ingredients:
  • 2 lb beef bottom round, trimmed of visible fat
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 3 lg eggs 
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil
  • 2 c chicken broth 
  • 1/2 c whole milk 
  • 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Cut the meat with the grain to 1/2-inch thick slices.  Dredge with flour.  Tenderize to 1/4-inch thickness.  Dredge again in the flour.  Coat with the egg and dredge once more in the flour.  Reserve 3 tbsp of the flour used for dredging.  

Allow the meat to sit out for 10 minutes. 

Bring the oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat.  When the oil begins to shimmer, add the meat.  Being careful to not overcrowd the pan, cook the meat on both sides until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.  Remove the meat and set on wire rack over a baking sheet and put in oven to keep warm.  

Make the gravy.  Whisk 3 tbsp of the flour left from dredging into the skillet.  Deglaze with chicken broth.  Whisk until the juices come to a boil and start to thicken.  Whisk in the milk and thyme.  Continue to cook and stir until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes.  Season with the salt and pepper. 

Remove the steaks from the oven.  Pour the gravy over all. 

Serve and enjoy!


14 comments:

  1. How I love chicken fried steak & gravy! You sure did make a pretty plate and I bet it tastes and good as it looks :)

    P.S. ~completely hooked on Guy's show too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had this southern girl right from the title! Of course chicken fried steak is a favorite in this house! i love it to pieces. Reminds me of growing up. Your version sounds amazing. This is what I love about the food blogging world is I get a chance to see how others do things and mix up my recipes according to theirs! Love yours and will definitely be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good!! Always been intrigued by this dish! Glad y'all liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken fried steak paired with the magical gravy.... YUmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so good! This would make a lovely weekend dinner! Don't forget that bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I have yet to try chicken fried steak. I keep hearing that it's a must. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really looks wonderful. I wish we could have it more often. This is a terrific recipe. AB's recipes are usually treasures. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chicken fried steak. I dont make it that often. It is also great with a white gravy. Its called a saw mill gravy. Its delish! Great post..

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm! This is why I feel like I should move down south---they always make the best dishes. That chicken fried steak looks delicious and I am sold with anything with thyme in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Alton's recipe - this one looks and sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious dish, looks amazing, tasty chicken, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CFS with cream gravy is practically an institution in Texas. Restaurants love to proclaim their's is BEST in the city, state, world...etc! My mama makes it at home with gravy made from the pan drippings. That and rice for the gravy = pure comfort to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous! i wish i am having this for dinner tonight:) thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!! that looks really good, especially with the gravy on top.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: