August 24, 2011

German Sausage Chowder


Between the chilly nights, harvesting the garden, canning and freezing, back-to-school shopping and the sweet smell of football in the air, I must admit that I am in complete autumn mode.  It is a wonderful season for the foodie that brings pears, figs, pumpkins, cranberries, sweet potatoes and a host of other greens, yellows, oranges and reds and inspires warmer and heartier dishes.  Yes, I realize that autumn is a month away but, in my heart, I cannot help but be there.

I wanted to use some of the cabbage and sweet corn harvested from the garden for dinner.  My husband's favorite use for cabbage is in egg rolls, which I am making tonight as a snack for our fantasy football draft (wish me luck!).  He suggested using it in a chowder with some sausage, so we decided on German sausage chowder for dinner, which happens to be a perfect meal for my autumn mind.  This chowder is delicious, hearty and full of flavor.  Serve it with a side of crusty bread and brace yourself for comfort in a bowl.



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces 
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1/2 c onion, diced 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour 
  • 2 c chicken broth 
  • 2 1/2 c water 
  • 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 
  • 1 small head cabbage, about 4 cups
  • 1 1/2 c corn 
  • 1 c whole milk 
  • 1 tbsp fresh (or 1 tsp dried) parsley 
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh (or 1/2 tsp dried) thyme leaves 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper 
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, for a little kick)
  • 2 c shredded Swiss cheese 
Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.  Add the sausage and brown for 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in the flour for 30 seconds and deglaze with the broth, scraping up the bits.  Pour in the water.  

Stir in the potatoes and cabbage (the cabbage will cook down).  Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  

Add the corn, milk, parsley, thyme and optional cayenne pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.  Stir in the cheese and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Enjoy!


11 comments:

  1. The weather is starting to cool off here and I'm thinking about soups and chowdah. I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are quickly moving to soup and stew weather. I know my family will love this. Here's to cooler days and larger appetites :-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds perfect fo the fall! Can't wait for the chilly weather and lots of soups/chowders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you...I so excited for Autumn! Your chowder is definitely something that I'll be looking forward to making soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Chowder looks delicious! Would be great with some homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the Fall! I want to eat pumpkin and wear sweaters so bad! Your chowder looks comforting and delicious and lucky husband of yours getting egg rolls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks hearty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celeste, I love chowder and yours look so hearty and mouth watering delicious. You took a great shot of the chowder too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me and it looks wonderful! Love trying out new recipe :) Thanks for sharing and have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interest to read. Thanks For Update. Pls Update More newsPostcard Printing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Made this for dinner last night. Delicious! Great flavor and easy to make. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: