August 8, 2011

Sesame Chicken



My husband suggested sesame chicken for dinner one night this past week.  The last time I blogged about sesame chicken, my daughter and I really enjoyed it but my husband was not very fond of it.  I thought I would switch things up quite a bit with the recipe and, while this does not use traditional Asian ingredients, it definitely yielded wonderful flavor!  The verdict?  My husband loved it!  Success!



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces  
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil  
  • 1/4 c plus 1 tbsp water, divided 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce 
  • 2 1/2 tbsp apple juice 
  • 1 1/2 tsp ketchup
  • 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar 
  • 1/4 tsp onion salt 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp cornstarch 
  • 1 tsp sesame seed 
Directions:

Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Brown the chicken on all sides, about 5 minutes.  Remove the chicken and set aside. 

Add 1/4 c of the water, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, brown sugar, onion salt, garlic and cayenne pepper to the skillet.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Reduce the heat to medium-low.  Add the chicken back into the skillet.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and keep warm.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1 tbsp of water and add it to the juices in the skillet.  Turn the heat to medium and bring to a boil.  Cook until the sauce slightly thickens, about 3 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the chicken.  Sprinkle sesame seed over all.

Serve over rice.

Enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. Sesame chicken is my favorite thing to eat at chinese restaurants. I can't wait to try your version for home. I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Success if the hubby loves it! It looks like a great sesame chicken dish to me and not too difficult to make!

    On a sidenote---your rice looks so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I love chicken! :)

    Thanks for the add on Food Buzz! Love meeting other bloggers who love food and all that fun stuff as much as me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in an area where good Chinese food is just not available so it's always great to find a recipe for our favorites! Thanks for the add on Foodbuzz. Great site

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and easy! I like this recipe for my everyday cooking.

    Following you for more of these yummy creations...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sesame chicken looks delicious. I a, not sure what you changed from the last recipe but, this looks really good. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a simple and delicious sesame chicken. Great with rice on the side.

    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite ways of cooking chicken! So Asian and really good with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This certainly looks delicious, perfect with the white rice. Simple and good, my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flavours in it, looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: