July 1, 2009

Fried Corn Fritters


Months ago, I scheduled our family vacation in Cape May, New Jersey.  Wouldn't you know that the very day we were supposed to be there, Hurricane Irene crept ashore!?  As the storm was hitting, we thought for sure there would be power outages and cleanup for days and days, forcing us into a "staycation".  Cape May was 96% evacuated and my husband and I watched the news in suspense.  Major damage was not only anticipated but predicted almost without doubt.  In the end, there thankfully was very minor damage and our beach house was completely fine.  In fact, my hometown was hit harder!  As we all know, after-hurricane weather is always beautiful and that is exactly what we were able to enjoy only one day later than our scheduled vacation!  80 degrees and sunny the entire week!

Now that we are back from vacation and my daughter has started first grade, I am back in the swing of things with my schedule.  I made these corn fritters as a snack for my daughter, which are perfect after a long day of school.



Ingredients:
  • Oil, for frying 
  • 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp white sugar 
  • 1 lg egg 
  • 1/2 c milk 
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted 
  • 1 1/2 c corn 
Directions:

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, milk and butter.  Slowly stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well-combined.  Stir in the corn and set aside.  

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Drop in the batter by spoonfuls and fry until light-golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.  Repeat with the remaining batter.  

Season with salt.  

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I'm happy that everything turned out well for you all :)

    Those corn fritters look delish! I'll have to give them a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fritters looks absolutely delicious, good to know that your beach house was safe and you enjoyed your vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...these look so good! Corn was six ears for $1 this week, so have a bunch in my freezer. This would go really nice with some fish...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: