November 11, 2011

Maple Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Frittata


My Granddaddy brought over some sweet potatoes from his garden for me one night this week and I wanted to try something new, something different than the normal sweet potato pie.  Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I was going to use them in some sort of breakfast dish... but what?  The last time I made a frittata was six months ago, so I decided on that.  Out of all of the different kinds of frittatas that I have had, none of them ever included sweet potatoes.  I'm glad I tried it because this certainly turned out delicious!  It was slightly sweet with lovely hints of cinnamon and the caramelized onion really brought out the flavors.  If you are planning on having out-of-town guests stay at your house, especially over the holidays, consider serving this for breakfast or brunch.  It is especially good when you lightly drizzle some maple syrup on top!



Ingredients:
Serves 4
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped 
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 1 medium onion, caramelized 
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced 
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon 
  • 2 tsp white sugar  
  • 8 large eggs, well-beaten
  • Optional:  1/3 c shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Optional:  Additional maple syrup, for drizzling 
Directions:

Heat a large, oven-proof skillet over medium heat.  Add the butter.  Once the foam subsides, add the sweet potatoes.  Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.

Preheat broiler.  

Stir the caramelized onion, garlic, maple syrup, cinnamon and sugar into the potatoes.  Pour the eggs over the potato and onion mixture.  Cook until the edges are set and the middle is still a little runny.  Sprinkle cheese over all, if desired.  

Place the skillet under the broiler and cook until set and slightly brown.  Cool for 1 minute before slicing.  If desired, drizzle some maple syrup over all.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, perfect combo of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...this is right up my alley, Celeste! Love the creative use of sweet potatoes. I think I need to make this for our next "breakfast for dinner" night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! Frittata's are a family favorite but never thought to do sweet potatoes in it. Genius

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: