July 1, 2009

Herb Roasted Whole Turkey Breast



Can you believe we have less than one week until Christmas?!  I hope you all have your gift shopping at least nearly completed and that your dinner menus are planned.  As for me, my gifts are wrapped and under the tree, except for the presents from Santa, of course.  

I love roasting turkey breasts because my family tends to shy away from dark meat and it cuts down the cooking time compared to a whole turkey.  This rub is delicious and the turkey turns out moist and tender.  You can also use this recipe on a whole turkey if you'd like.  Don't forget to save the pan drippings, neck, giblets, skin and carcass to make turkey stock!


Ingredients:
  • 1 whole bone-in turkey breast, thawed (the rub amount is enough for a 7-9 lb breast)
  • 2 c dry white wine 
  • 2 c chicken broth 
  • 1/2 c onion, chopped 
Rub
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 tsp dried rosemary 
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram 
  • 1 tsp dried basil 
  • 1 tsp black pepper 
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Remove the turkey neck and giblets.  Rinse the turkey and pat it dry.  

In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, rosemary, marjoram, basil, pepper and thyme.  Carefully pull back the skin of the turkey breast and rub 1/3 of the mixture directly onto the meat.  Rub the remaining 2/3 of the mixture over the skin of the entire bird.

Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan breast side up.  Pour the white wine and chicken in the bottom of the roasting pan and add the onions in with the liquid.  

Roast the turkey for 15 to 20 minutes per pound, or until the breast meat registers 160 degrees.  If the breasts start to over brown, loosely cover them with some foil.  

Cover the turkey with foil and allow it to rest for 20 minutes before carving.  




Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Any leftovers would be super delicious in sandwiches! Merry Christmas and enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made a turkey breast, this certainly looks easy enough and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming over to your house for christmas! what time should i be there? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy yummy!!! Looks fab! Christmas is coming way too quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty and golden! My dad sent me home w/a turkey breast last Christmas, so I made one of Ina Garten's herb-rubbed versions. We love white meat too, so this is the way to go for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...It looks incredible! I'm with y'all, I prefer the turkey breast too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so tender and tasty, I consider to prepare for the holiday =)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: