January 22, 2012

Blooming Bacon Cheddar Ranch Bread



Yesterday began with a hearty brunch of eggs, bacon, home fries and toast.  It was a cold Saturday with 4 inches of snow on the ground and I wasn't about to go anywhere.  Then something happened -- the baking bug bit.  It started with delectable red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and, after the amount of calories I consumed, it should have stopped there.  Well, there happened to be a beautiful round loaf of sourdough bread lying on the counter and I knew what had to happen.  This is what happens when we get snowed in!  You see, a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled across a post on Pinterest by Plain Chicken.  I tried the recipe a couple weeks ago and it was amazing but it wasn't quite what I wanted.  I tweaked a few things and all I can say is, wow!  This is absolutely sinfully delicious!  It's obviously not the healthiest of snacks, but everything in moderation.  Next time, I'm going to play with ham and cheese and possibly broccoli.  The best thing about this recipe is that it's very forgiving and you can use whatever ingredients you'd like.  Sprinkling Parmesan cheese and dusting with pepper would be a wonderful addition to this, too.  Blooming bacon cheddar ranch bread will definitely be on the menu for Super Bowl Sunday.  As for now, I'm off to do a few extra crunches to make up for my bad behavior this weekend!


Ingredients:
  • 1 firm round loaf of bread such as sourdough
  • 5 strips bacon, cooked and diced 
  • 1/2 c to 1 c (live a little!) shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
  • 6 tbsp butter, melted 
  • 4 tsp ranch seasoning mix 
  • Marinara sauce
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut the bread lengthwise in rows about 1 inch apart. Turn the bread 90 degrees and repeat to create cubes, holding the bread down with your other hand as you cut.  Make the cuts as deep as you can but don't cut all the way through the bottom.



In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and ranch seasoning mix.  

Carefully insert the cooked bacon and cheese between each bread cube.  Drizzle the seasoned butter in between the crevices and all over the loaf.  

Wrap the loaf with tin foil and bake on a baking sheet for 10 minutes.  Carefully unwrap the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.  

Allow to cool slightly before serving.  Serve with marinara sauce, if desired.



Enjoy!



13 comments:

  1. You are just wrong for this! My stomach thanks you but my hips are completely giving you the "side eye"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girlfriend-seriously, irresistible! I can feel the treadmill calling my name right now because i just gained 10 pounds by looking at the picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your ingredients! they are amazing and this one is really a hit!! from your blog, i discovered and appreciated much more recipe.

    zonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! this look so delicious and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I can't concentrate! Delish!

    www.tutuscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really looks great. I'm going to make one this weekend using Pepper Bacon from Stater Brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be fixing this loaf for my sister's party on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I will be making this for the Super Bowl on Sunday :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often alter recipes to reduce the calories, maybe before you make it and taste it with the real ingredients, you could subsitute turkey bacon and 2%cheese, maybe even 'I can't believe it nots butter' spray , it would help a bit with the calories

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laureen needs to get a life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Z.O.M.G. This break was fenomenal hit my Super Bowl party! I made 2 and added jalapenos to one of them. YUM! Definitely going to make this part of my party arsenal. Thx for the great idea! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can certainly see your skills within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. All the time go after your heart.
    Musician's Gear Deluxe Classical Gig Bag (Standard)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: