We were supposed to get snow today but only got the bitter-cold, chill-you-to-the-bone wind. Days likes these make me wish it was spring again. This warm pasta dish was comforting and warming and perfect for such a chilly winter night.
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut bite-size
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c onion, julienne cut
- 1/4 c carrot, julienne cut
- 1/4 c red bell pepper, julienne cut
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 c tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Pinch of cayenne, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 8 oz Gemelli pasta, cooked and drained
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet, add the onion, carrot and bell pepper. Cook and stir until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
Pour in the heavy cream. Stir in the tomato, tomato paste and Parmesan. Add the basil and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Season with cayenne, salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Once chicken is cooked through, stir in the Gemelli pasta.
Serve and enjoy!