November 28, 2011

Busy Weeknight Pan-Fried Cube Steak & Brown Gravy


In case you were unaware, I am a proud (and somewhat obsessed) couponer.  I'm talking coupon binder in tow at the grocery store, stock piled pantry at home, etc.  After clipping Sunday newspaper coupons, organizing them in my binder, scoping out sales at each grocery store, and making my meal plan for the week, I normally go grocery shopping on Monday mornings.  Thankfully, I happened to check my work email before grocery shopping and found out that I was about to be bombarded with work.  What did I do?  I planned to make one of my go-to meals for a crazy weeknight, pan-fried cube steak and brown gravy.  I almost did not post this recipe because of how simple it is but, after convincing on my husband's part, I decided to post it after all.  You see, he absolutely loves this dish, it can be made in under 15 minutes, it is delicious, it is easy to make, and it is affordable.

When picking out cube steak at the store, try find one with little-to-no visible fat.  As far as cost goes, depending on the store and sales, you can get it anywhere from $3.00 to $5.00 per pound.  Cube steak is round roast that has been extra-tenderized with a mallet.  If you want to save even more money per pound, buy a round roast and tenderize it yourself to 1/8 inch thick pieces.  You can certainly make your own brown gravy but, on really crazy weeknights, I use two $1.00 McCormick brown gravy mix packets to save time.  


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb cube steak
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp pepper, or to taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil 
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced 
  • 2 c cold water 
  • 2 (0.87 oz) packets McCormick brown gravy mix
Directions:

Make the brown gravy.  Whisk together the cold water and the contents from 2 brown gravy mix packets in a small sauce pan.  Turn the heat to medium and whisk frequently until it comes to a boil.  Stir in the parsley and reduce the heat to low.  Allow the gravy to simmer for 1 minute longer.  Remove from heat, set aside and keep warm.  

Meanwhile, season the cube steak on both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the cube steak and cook on both sides for one minute.  Remove the steaks from the skillet and discard the pan drippings.  Return the steaks back to the skillet and pour the brown gravy over all.  Turn the heat down to low and simmer until the steaks are cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.  

Fast, simple, affordable and delicious!  Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. my husband never had cubed steak before until I made it for him a few years back! I love it- the ease and simplicity of it and yes perfect for a great weeknight meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cube steak with brown gravy...Oh, I want some right now! Yours looks all kinda delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy! I love cube steak.

    www.cancerinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im surprised to find a recipe without mushrooms and onion i hate both going to give this a try sounds really good 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to find a recipe without mushrooms and onion I hate both going to give this a try sounds really good 😊

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: