July 1, 2010

BBQ Shrimp, Bacon & Green Beans over Rice


My, how the week has flown by!  I have had a major change (a good change) in my work schedule and food blogging had to be placed on the back burner, which is why it has been a full week since I've made a blog post.  I'm hoping that I will be able to post as consistently as I have been but only time will tell.  In any case, now that it's the weekend, I am very thankful to have some extra time to devote to blogging again.

This is a delicious and easy dish that can be made in under 30 minutes that my family loves.  My husband especially enjoys the addition of bacon because it brings a salty component to the sweet BBQ sauce.  While arranging your plate, be sure to drizzle that yummy pan sauce over everything liberally!


 Ingredients:
  • 2 c white rice
  • 2 c water 
  • 4 slices bacon 
  • 2 c green beans 
  • 1 c BBQ sauce 
  • 1 c beef broth
  • 1/2 c beer 
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined 
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
Directions:

Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Stir in the rice and cover.  Remove from heat and set aside.  

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy, about 8 minutes.  Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.  Crumble the bacon.  

Add the green beans to the skillet.  Cook and stir until they become wrinkly, about 5 minutes.  Remove the green beans from the skillet and set aside.  

Whisk together the BBQ sauce, beef broth and beer into the skillet.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the shrimp and green beans and cook until the shrimp is cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.  

Spoon the shrimp and green beans over the cooked rice and drizzle some of the pan sauce over all.  Squeeze some lemon juice over all.  Top with crumbled bacon.  

Enjoy!


Featured in: